• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Trapdoor

Why aren’t we offering one of our 2 young keepers the chance now?, I’ve not seen them but they are (well one of them) old enough in my view?. If we rate them enough to have them under contract we should take the plunge or get rid?
Keepers shouldn't be getting into the first team until they are about 22 in my opinion. It's a role that benefits from experience and maturity, with generally a longer playing career.
I would be very disappointed to see either Lee or Arthur starting for us next season. They need time and experience to grow and develop, putting them in early could be very detrimental to their long term careers.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keepers shouldn't be getting into the first team until they are about 22 in my opinion. It's a role that benefits from experience and maturity, with generally a longer playing career.
I would be very disappointed to see either Lee or Arthur starting for us next season. They need time and experience to grow and develop, putting them in early could be very detrimental to their long term careers.
I can remember when Pym and Hamon were our 2 teenage keepers. Everytime one of them took a goal kick that went over the half-way line the crowd applauded!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Depends how good and mature they are. Jordan Pickford went out on loan to lower league teams aged 17 then was playing for Burton on loan from Sunderland age 19. He hasn't done so badly.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't think of any either, although when he first took over the reins he did unsuccessfully investigate the possibility of bringing one or two back on loan, Iirc David Wheeler was one.
I think Jayden Stockley can be counted a success albeit it was initially a loan spell. In the past Tony Kellow, Steve Neville, Darren Rowbotham, Scott Hiley, Kevin Miller, Steve Tully, George Friend (on loan), Dean Moxey...have all had good to decent second (and more) spells with the club.

You cannot make hard and fast rules on these things. Re-signing someone who did well for a club before is quite obvious when you think about it but comes up against the "never go back" mantra. After all, if we got the opportunity to sign Cam in a year or so, would anyone be complaining about being unimaginative because he has played for us before?

IndoMike

Gordon Banks made his debut at 21, Ray Clemence at 18. and Peter Shilton at 16.

If they're good enough they're old enough.

Trapdoor

Gordon Banks made his debut at 21, Ray Clemence at 18. and Peter Shilton at 16.

If they're good enough they're old enough.
These are all exceptional international quality players, there are always exceptions. I stand by my sentiment that generally keepers shouldn't be pushed in to first team action as early as outfield players and that maturity and experience benefits this role more than others.

IndoMike

These are all exceptional international quality players, there are always exceptions. I stand by my sentiment that generally keepers shouldn't be pushed in to first team action as early as outfield players and that maturity and experience benefits this role more than others.
Exactly. Arguably the 3 top England keepers all started playing 1st team football at ages 21,19 & 16. Obviously didn't do them any harm.
Who knows : maybe our 2 young keepers will end up as top keepers. If they're good enough they're old enough.
And they aren't exceptions: many keepers started playing first team football at a young age.

]'

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

I give you Pierluigi Buffon, made his debut for Parma in Serie A at 17 in 1991 and then went on to have a fairly successful career in over 1100 games, 176 of them for Italy, winning a list of honours and awards that you'd probably need four sides of A4 to write them all on which is topped with a World Cup winners medal. He is still playing now back where it all started in Parma at the grand old age of 44. I don't think starting at 17 did him any harm, did it?

Trapdoor

If you think Arthur or Lee are the next Buffon I will be more than happy to see them turn out for the first team next season.

However I think they are probably more like the next Christy Pym, who would have benefited from a bit more time learning his craft.

grecIAN Harris

If you think Arthur or Lee are the next Buffon I will be more than happy to see them turn out for the first team next season.

However I think they are probably more like the next Christy Pym, who would have benefited from a bit more time learning his craft.
The question is, do you know they're not? We know we had to fight off interest from Premier League clubs to keep Harry Lee so there must be more than a little bit in him. My only concern with keepers is their physicality and whether they can cope with what will be coming at them. Harry is a big boy for his age.