• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

Trapdoor

The question is, do you know they're not?
I don't "know". I didn't "know" Watkins would play for England after he left us.

I am merely highly doubtful either are Buffon or Khan in disguise.

Red Monster

Not a chance either of the young Keepers will be starting in the League.
Matt said this week on Harry his first season in mens football wasn’t as successful
as we had hoped.

AmberRed

Not a chance either of the young Keepers will be starting in the League.
Matt said this week on Harry his first season in mens football wasn’t as successful
as we had hoped.
TBF to the lad he was 16 and sent to a club at the bottom of the table! We don't normally send 1st year scholars out, so surprised we sent a keeper out that early! Thought he played well in all the papa John's trophy and U23 games! Watched the u18s final against Bideford too and he was excellent!

Red Monster

I’m sure he’s going to be very good keeper but it’s crazy to think
Matt would expect him to be our first choice keeper this season.

SaintJames

I’m sure he’s going to be very good keeper but it’s crazy to think
Matt would expect him to be our first choice keeper this season.
Exactly. Our first season back in League One is hardly the time to give either of two rookies with zilch experience the gloves! Possibly the craziest idea yet.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
My understanding was Lee chose to sign for us as opposed to prem clubs who were interested because he was told he would be part of the squad. Maybe not straight away but at some point. How long is his contract ?. What happens if we go with the policy of some on here and assume they will only be good enough at 22?, will they simply go elsewhere before then?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
My understanding was Lee chose to sign for us as opposed to prem clubs who were interested because he was told he would be part of the squad. Maybe not straight away but at some point. How long is his contract ?. What happens if we go with the policy of some on here and assume they will only be good enough at 22?, will they simply go elsewhere before then?
I think I remember that, too. When Cox and Lee signed for City, Matt said they they would get games. I guess it depends how you define "games."
My point is purely if they're good enough they're old enough or even young enough. Many keepers are promoted to the first team when they are under 20.
Buffon started when he was 17 and finished when he was 40. There was no criticism when Amps played for the first team when he was 16; in fact, fans were proud.
Of course, if they're not good enough (yet), that's another matter.

jase 07

I give you Pierluigi Buffon, made his debut for Parma in Serie A at 17 in 1991 and then went on to have a fairly successful career in over 1100 games, 176 of them for Italy, winning a list of honours and awards that you'd probably need four sides of A4 to write them all on which is topped with a World Cup winners medal. He is still playing now back where it all started in Parma at the grand old age of 44. I don't think starting at 17 did him any harm, did it?
Good point, but at the risk of being pedantic his first name is Gianluigi

AmberRed

I think I remember that, too. When Cox and Lee signed for City, Matt said they they would get games. I guess it depends how you define "games."
My point is purely if they're good enough they're old enough or even young enough. Many keepers are promoted to the first team when they are under 20.
Buffon started when he was 17 and finished when he was 40. There was no criticism when Amps played for the first team when he was 16; in fact, fans were proud.
Of course, if they're not good enough (yet), that's another matter.
I would imagine Cox would get his chance before Lee, it's easier to bed a striker in than a gk, you can put an outfield player on for the last 10-20 minutes of a match to gain experience, you're not going to do that with a goalie! Would imagine Lee will spend this year on loan, however MT said last week he will get all cup and U23 games!

Agent Andy

Alfie pond , Harry Lee , Sonny Cox have the potential to be the best group yet , Taylor’s words a few weeks ago . We need to be patient and see what happens in pre season . None of them will be thrust in league one straight away and all three will need more mens football next season . We learnt from the Amps deal how to keep hold of our key youngsters and give them longer contracts for more money , and theses boys are happy to stay and wait for there chance so I don’t get why we need to rush any of them . I would imagine we will get a loan in for Gk possibly Dawson if we can hang on and wait till end of pre season .