• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
You could hate football and still be a good Trustee. To think that you need to be a football and ECFC nut is misunderstanding the role and responsibilities of a Trustee..

IndoMike

Regarding being a true fan of a club, it's something in your heart and you don't need to prove it. I'm not a member of the Trust but nobody can take away from me all the City matches I've watched in the past, all the times as a kid I waited behind the OG waiting for players to come out to sign their autographs and all the time I spent making City albums etc.
If you are not a member of the Trust it doesn't mean you don't appreciate the work that it does. I also appreciate the work of the RSPCA but don't contribute to it.
I contribute to other things in other ways
I do have an aversion to the word "committee", however
Actually only a minority of City fans/ supporters are Trust members. Perhaps other posters can come up with some reasons why that should be
So if your heart is with City and you are a Trust member: great. If your heart is with City but you're not a Trust member : great.
If you're a Trust member for some reason but don't love Exeter City : great.
Being a Trust member is a bit like having a loyalty card with certain advantages. We often frequent the same establishments !shops, chemists etc) but I just can t be farked to be a member and get their card, even though I would get the discount

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regarding being a true fan of a club, it's something in your heart and you don't need to prove it. I'm not a member of the Trust but nobody can take away from me all the City matches I've watched in the past, all the times as a kid I waited behind the OG waiting for players to come out to sign their autographs and all the time I spent making City albums etc.
If you are not a member of the Trust it doesn't mean you don't appreciate the work that it does. I also appreciate the work of the RSPCA but don't contribute to it.
I contribute to other things in other ways
I do have an aversion to the word "committee", however
Actually only a minority of City fans/ supporters are Trust members. Perhaps other posters can come up with some reasons why that should be
So if your heart is with City and you are a Trust member: great. If your heart is with City but you're not a Trust member : great.
If you're a Trust member for some reason but don't love Exeter City : great.
Being a Trust member is a bit like having a loyalty card with certain advantages. We often frequent the same establishments !shops, chemists etc) but I just can t be farked to be a member and get their card, even though I would get the discount
Being a trust member keeps the club alive

When it was needed where were all these wealthy indivuduals wanting a new plaything - no where! As time has progressed we are all tending to forget the black days. If you want a say , a real say, join the trust and vote or stand for the board.

IndoMike

When it was needed where were all these wealthy indivuduals wanting a new plaything - no where! As time has progressed we are all tending to forget the black days. If you want a say , a real say, join the trust and vote or stand for the board.
Your post is not relevant to mine because you have distorted the sentiment.

DB9

We are talking about 2003, We had just been relegated from the league, £4m+ debt? No assets to speak off we owned and to top it all the two idiots in charge looking at charges to be brought. No wealthy individual would have touched us with a bargepole, In business terms we were too much of a risk back then and no, there is no one on these boards that have forgotten about those days. We've learnt from it and moved on.

Spoonz Red E

We are talking about 2003, We had just been relegated from the league, £4m+ debt? No assets to speak off we owned and to top it all the two idiots in charge looking at charges to be brought. No wealthy individual would have touched us with a bargepole, In business terms we were too much of a risk back then and no, there is no one on these boards that have forgotten about those days. We've learnt from it and moved on.
No wealthy individual (other than Ivor Doble) would have touched us with a bargepole in the many many years prior to that.
That's how the two idiots ended up in charge.

David Treharne

Clearly, I believe in Trust ownership for Exeter City. I also find it difficult to believe that any other Club would have undertaken the kind of examination that was undertaken and recently published as 'Trust review 2020' (which you can find on the Trust website). This was instigated at a Club AGM and carried out by an independent assessor -and done much better than the pretty feeble attempt made in 2014. There will never be as much openness and transparency as some would like. You can only instigate this kind of work if you are a member of the Trust. It has many faults as a system (lack of speed in transactions being one). The fact that it has constantly renewed itself is testament to the fact that others have faith in the way it (eventually) works.

Boyo

Clearly, I believe in Trust ownership for Exeter City. I also find it difficult to believe that any other Club would have undertaken the kind of examination that was undertaken and recently published as 'Trust review 2020' (which you can find on the Trust website). This was instigated at a Club AGM and carried out by an independent assessor -and done much better than the pretty feeble attempt made in 2014. There will never be as much openness and transparency as some would like. You can only instigate this kind of work if you are a member of the Trust. It has many faults as a system (lack of speed in transactions being one). The fact that it has constantly renewed itself is testament to the fact that others have faith in the way it (eventually) works.
The review mentioned above is available here: https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/trust-review

Is it ironic that this is the first I have heard of this review?

Grecian Max

The review mentioned above is available here: https://www.weownexetercityfc.co.uk/trust-review

Is it ironic that this is the first I have heard of this review?
Same!

DB9

No wealthy individual (other than Ivor Doble) would have touched us with a bargepole in the many many years prior to that.
That's how the two idiots ended up in charge.
I know that Spoonz, I was talking about 2003, Once relegated and the wheels came off for R&L and the whole debt was realised, Imagine if someone was vaguely interested then, they'd have to look at the books, Seen we owed then £4m+ No ownership of the stadium and about to lose more money from going out of the league. Any individual would have needed money to clear the debt (No new owner would have got a CVA like the Trust did) Probably wanted to investigate the status of the lease on the ground and eventually tried to have bought it and also had to get a new manager in to build a new team, I reckon all that would have cost best part of say £7m-£8m+ to any potenial owner, Never in a million years would someone invest that kind of dosh for a "Plaything" Nope in 2003 the Trust coming in was the best and only solution, We were the last stop before the club going squit, Even when in 1995 things were going badly, No one in the club at that time wanted fans involved, Except for trying to get donations to save the club out of them.