• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Should Exeter City remain a fan-owned club?

i8cornwall

The discussion as to whether the club is Trust or privately owned entity is largely irrelevant. It's highly unlikely that you would be able to interest a private buyer in negotiating with an organisation that is so tied into it's own processes as the Trust is...My personal preference would be a board made up of private investors who hold an affection for the club, together with a meaningful representation of Supporter interests. It's not going to happen because the accepted wisdom amongst many of the people who run the Trust, exhibits a deep mistrust and probably a political bias against it taking place...I'm not suggesting that there isn't reasonable grounds for this disenchantment.
This would probably be the route we would have to go down if someone or a group wanted to invest in the club. similar to the way Wycombe and Hereford are run, Private investors with the trust still involved one way or another.

personally I’d be fine with that model of ownership.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
If a multi, multi millionaire came along, who wanted to 'give' - rather than 'loan' - money to the club, then it's worth discussing. Until then, why are we bothering to discuss it?
So someone should come along...give millions to the club and still have no input, let alone control, over how the money is spent?

DB9

So someone should come along...give millions to the club and still have no input, let alone control, over how the money is spent?
Yep, They're queuing up round the corner! 😄

robchave

That's not what I said. I said: if someone came along, then we could talk about it.
The problem with owners 'lending' money to the club, and then running it in an unsustainable manner, is that when they get bored and want their 'loan' back, the club collapses.

DB9

That's not what I said. I said: if someone came along, then we could talk about it.
The problem with owners 'lending' money to the club, and then running it in an unsustainable manner, is that when they get bored and want their 'loan' back, the club collapses.
If you lend money there is an expectation of wanting back at some point. You did say "Give" mind

rp42

Time to move on going nowhere under the Trust can't afford to go up.

Grecian Max

This is likely a stupid question, I apologise if this is the case!

Could the Trust somehow retain control of the academy as part of any takeover? Or at least protect it in some form. I would be happy to see a private takeover that was well intentioned, funded and organised.

DB9

This is likely a stupid question, I apologise if this is the case!

Could the Trust somehow retain control of the academy as part of any takeover? Or at least protect it in some form. I would be happy to see a private takeover that was well intentioned, funded and organised.
I guess that would be up to any potential purchaser, If they saw that as the success we do, They'd want a piece of that, Especially since we don't own the lease on the ground.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would be happy to see a private takeover that was well intentioned, funded and organised.
History has shown that "good intentions" were never enough to stop bad things from happening.

Dannyred

History has shown that "good intentions" were never enough to stop bad things from happening.
I don’t think the trust or club would consider anyone taking over ownership.