• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Bowman..... (to Shrewsbury)

TSW1389

He did a job, scored as many as expected by your average striker. Will maybe change our style of play.
Thankful for what he did but wont miss him.
Think people views are clouded by fact he "replaced" Stockley. If he arrived now I think he'd just be described as average but unspectacular.

Looking forward to some signing soon

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bowman has the ability to shake up defenders, can be a handfull, at his best when he's wound up which unfortunately can sometimes lead to disciplinery action. Never an instinctive player he's quite good when he's composed with the ball at his feet but can be awful in tight situations or when a quick touch is required, how many times did the ball appear to hit him rather than him address the ball? Remarkably poor in the air for a big man but on the rare occasions that he did get it right he did so with aplomb, he was fairly good at holding the ball up. Thought he could have been better if we'd ever found him a decent strike partner but I'll never understand his trademark jumping in the air seconds before the ball actually arrived.

Got to wish him well, certainly rather have him as a friend than an enemy!

JCWhoosh

A lot of views on Bowman for better of worse. I'm on the fence. Can be unplayable on a good day and will get 15+ goals a season which isn't bad at all. Don't forget that doesn't include penalties which would have added 5 goals (I think) to the total.
I do think that fatigue had a massive input. Played as a loan striker and was obviously targeted from opposition.
Just thinking if he is as bad as people are making out then he has an incredible agent to get Shrewsbury to pay a fee to play in a higher league.
Good luck to him but excited to see our new strike force for next season.

Ash

I think Matt really wants pace from his frontmen and will look to go that way now.
I hope you're right, would be very nice to see.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see that one poster on the Shrewsbury fans site has taken the trouble to copy and paste fbh's farewell tribute to Ryan.

Another poster on there shows a touch of cynicism re STFC: "I'm sure we can turn him into someone who can't hit a barn door."

fred binneys head

Just had a parcel delivered and it’s my signed match-worn Ryan Bowman shirt! Totally forgot about it, fantastic surprise 👍

andrew p long

Delighted to see the photo on the MDT of Super Ryan Bowman in the away end for our game at Port Vale.

I had worried that the circumstances of his departure (specifically MT's comments about needing for Ryan's sake to let him leave before we'd signed a replacement) meant that there might have been some ill-feeling. Which would have been a shame as his ECFC spell led to him now playing at the highest level that he has in England, having spent long spells in the Conference and League Two.

Grecianpasty

Delighted to see the photo on the MDT of Super Ryan Bowman in the away end for our game at Port Vale.

I had worried that the circumstances of his departure (specifically MT's comments about needing for Ryan's sake to let him leave before we'd signed a replacement) meant that there might have been some ill-feeling. Which would have been a shame as his ECFC spell led to him now playing at the highest level that he has in England, having spent long spells in the Conference and League Two.
Absoutely. A lot of respect goes to him for supporting his former team mates.

He's having a remarkable season considering his heart issues early on this year, I feared for his career. But for him to score 12 goals in all competitions since is a cracking achievement. Defying the punters once again.

DB9

Absoutely. A lot of respect goes to him for supporting his former team mates.

He's having a remarkable season considering his heart issues early on this year, I feared for his career. But for him to score 12 goals in all competitions since is a cracking achievement. Defying the punters once again.
And a league higher which many on here thought he wasn't good enough for, Good to see him back healthy after his scare. (y)

Average Joe

I’m not sure he defied any punters. The majority knew what he was good for and the minority clearly don’t understand the game.

your typical 442 football armchair fans don’t understand that a striker can be good without scoring

Matt Jay is half the player without Boweman around and that’s because of what Boweman offered to the squad.

I as many am really pleased to see him do well but I’m not surprised in the slightest