• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Bowman..... (to Shrewsbury)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’m not sure he defied any punters. The majority knew what he was good for and the minority clearly don’t understand the game.

your typical 442 football armchair fans don’t understand that a striker can be good without scoring

Matt Jay is half the player without Boweman around and that’s because of what Boweman offered to the squad.

I as many am really pleased to see him do well but I’m not surprised in the slightest
Jay is half the player he was last season because he is playing a midfield role rather than the No 10 role that he was playing last season. Consequently he is not getting into the little pockets of space that he exploited so well. He and Bowman had a good understanding but Jay's form this season has little to do with Bowman not being here

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jay is half the player he was last season because he is playing a midfield role rather than the No 10 role that he was playing last season. Consequently he is not getting into the little pockets of space that he exploited so well. He and Bowman had a good understanding but Jay's form this season has little to do with Bowman not being here
We've been playing the same sort of system all season and it didn't seem to affect MJ's form before Christmas. I'm only speculating from afar but I wonder how much getting covid took out of him; he seemed to take a while to get back to absolute peak fitness and that may have dented his confidence.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
There has been a subtle change to the way we line up in that area. Initially at the start of the season we were playing both Jay and Brown in the ten area. Then Brown seemed to drift further right with MJ occupying the ten position and then ultimately we have what we have now. Brown is definitely the ten/second striker and MJ is part of the midfield three and is consequently playing a deeper role. That is why MJ isn't as effective and absolutely why the goals have dried up. Whether all of that is having knock on effect to his confidence....... we'll only MJ can tell you that with any clarity.