• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Bowman..... (to Shrewsbury)

Ash

Fair enough if that’s your view, I just don’t think we should be posting personal rumours about one of our own. It can only harm, so why would we do it? If it’s an argyle player, go for it, make stuff up if you want.
I didn't say even say it, let alone make anything up! Nor would I, but we live in a world where privacy is limited, more so if you are in the public eye (albeit in a local fashion). I have no idea about Ryan's nocturnal activities but anyone who might engage in 'scoring elsewhere' can't be surprised if it ends up as public knowledge. Be that Ryan or anyone else.

SimonBB

Have just been listening on the City website to various player’s interviews and in particular Ryan’s most recent one post Crawley at home the tag line being "The manager said to me at the end it's not luck as you've worked for it”.

The players in general were upbeat and positive whereas Ryan was very low key and looked to be really low on confidence.

It struck me that whilst on the field of play he has a big bustling no nonsense presence inside there is a much softer person and perhaps he needs to be shown some love....so whilst he continues to work hard for the team but goals still fail to come, how about we all give him a break and support him instead destroying what confidence he has left.
Unless people are contacting him directly I’m not sure how we can be destroying his confidence. No one is in the ground hurling abuse at him and I can’t see him scrolling through Exeweb or social media.

Ash

Have just been listening on the City website to various player’s interviews and in particular Ryan’s most recent one post Crawley at home the tag line being "The manager said to me at the end it's not luck as you've worked for it”.

The players in general were upbeat and positive whereas Ryan was very low key and looked to be really low on confidence.

It struck me that whilst on the field of play he has a big bustling no nonsense presence inside there is a much softer person and perhaps he needs to be shown some love....so whilst he continues to work hard for the team but goals still fail to come, how about we all give him a break and support him instead destroying what confidence he has left.
He may be low on confidence and possibly he does need a bit of love. I really don't think anyone is trying to destroy him though, certainly not by posting on a football forum! Now if he was getting booed or abused at a game, that would be different. It'll be a while before we find out if anyone is p!ssed off enough to do anything like that, by which time hopefully he'll have remembered where the goal is.

Ash

Unless people are contacting him directly I’m not sure how we can be destroying his confidence. No one is in the ground hurling abuse at him and I can’t see him scrolling through Exeweb or social media.
Beat me to it!

Ash

To answer the original post, it's a no from me. I like Ryan, I think he offers plenty aside from the goals, you gotta love his workrate and effort but ultimately his form all this season has been poor and he needs to be taken out of the firing line. I don't really like any of our options to replace him. I remain hopeful for Seymour but so far I've seen very little to suggest he should be anything other than a bench player at best. Ajose has the ability but does he have the application? That can be debated but what's certain is that he doesn't have the manager's confidence, so not really an option ATM. Fisher scored an absolute wonder goal and he had a mini purple patch last season, but he seems like 'Bowman light', similar strengths, similar weaknesses but just not as good as Ryan. At this moment though, I think Alex Fisher should be given the nod for at least two or three games. He's hardly going to trouble the opposition keeper any less than Ryan has been doing lately.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Beat me to it!
I think you might both be underestimating the power and influence of Social Media in all its formats. I have certainly read plenty of unpleasant comments about him on various Facebook pages from keyboard warriors.

Ash

I think you might both be underestimating the power and influence of Social Media in all its formats. I have certainly read plenty of unpleasant comments about him on various Facebook pages from keyboard warriors.
Really? Must admit I don't bother with social media much. Maybe Ryan should take a leaf out of my book if it's actually bothering him?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
To answer the original post, it's a no from me. I like Ryan, I think he offers plenty aside from the goals, you gotta love his workrate and effort but ultimately his form all this season has been poor and he needs to be taken out of the firing line. I don't really like any of our options to replace him. I remain hopeful for Seymour but so far I've seen very little to suggest he should be anything other than a bench player at best. Ajose has the ability but does he have the application? That can be debated but what's certain is that he doesn't have the manager's confidence, so not really an option ATM. Fisher scored an absolute wonder goal and he had a mini purple patch last season, but he seems like 'Bowman light', similar strengths, similar weaknesses but just not as good as Ryan. At this moment though, I think Alex Fisher should be given the nod for at least two or three games. He's hardly going to trouble the opposition keeper any less than Ryan has been doing lately.
Fisher is currently out with hamstring problems though.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I didn't say even say it, let alone make anything up! Nor would I, but we live in a world where privacy is limited, more so if you are in the public eye (albeit in a local fashion). I have no idea about Ryan's nocturnal activities but anyone who might engage in 'scoring elsewhere' can't be surprised if it ends up as public knowledge. Be that Ryan or anyone else.
Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting you’d said it or made anything up. If anything, I was encouraging you to make something up about an argyle player 😉

What you say is true of course, my point is why would we do it to one of our own? Some people will do it, but for instance if Manc hadn’t posted it on here I’d have had no idea about it, and maybe there’s lots like me.

I’m not saying posting it on here is crime of the century, or that Manc is in some way unusual in spreading gossip about a footballer, I’m just saying it’s unnecessary, disrespectful to a current City player (or his wife) and, in football parlance, a potential own goal - so why would we do that?

StudentGrecian

Some people will do it, but for instance if Manc hadn’t posted it on here I’d have had no idea about it, and maybe there’s lots like me.
To be honest I’m a regular follower of the social media channels and haven’t seen anything on there.
Makes me wonder if Manc was just setting himself up for a joke about him scoring elsewhere.