• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ironically many of those UK retirees who set up camp in Spain will have voted for BREXIT. I don't think they realised that
they would become victims of Brexit arrangements. Turkeys voted for Xmas
I thought existing residents were permitted to stay under the Brexit agreements struck ?

IndoMike

I thought existing residents were permitted to stay under the Brexit agreements struck ?
They can stay, but may face problems regarding banking, driving licenses, health care/insurance . Also mixed couples who want to go back to the UK : could be difficult for the Spanish half to get a permit to live in the UK
But, correct me if I'm wrong Ali. I might be.

IndoMike

Jinx is right. Everyone says the Covid death rate in the US is shocking and it is- but nobody says the rate in the UK - which is much higher - is shocking. It IS shocking

elginCity

They can stay, but may face problems regarding banking, driving licenses, health care/insurance . Also mixed couples who want to go back to the UK : could be difficult for the Spanish half to get a permit to live in the UK
But, correct me if I'm wrong Ali. I might be.
You're right to highlight post-Brexit issues for expats afforded settled status. However, the original point made was about the 'diminishing' of freedom and rights going forward. The average working man no longer has the means to retire in the sun, as hundreds of thousands have happily done for the past 20 years.

Still, there's always Bognor, or Skeggy.

IndoMike

You're right to highlight post-Brexit issues for expats afforded settled status. However, the original point made was about the 'diminishing' of freedom and rights going forward. The average working man no longer has the means to retire in the sun, as hundreds of thousands have happily done for the past 20 years.

There have have been so many original points and so many tangents that I've lost track, Elgy
Yes. I lived in Northern Spain for a long time and absolutely loved it. When I was there we weren't in the EU and I did what a lot of people did : cross the border into Portugal and come back straight away, getting my passport stamped in both directions (I was young and foolish then. Never had a problem but when I started a business I was helped to get a proper residence permit by a Spanish detective friend of mine. But my main point is that I was allowed to have that great experience, whereas it will be much harder now for our youngsters to do that

elginCity

Brexiters never had a problem with 3.5 of the 4 freedoms; the free movement of goods, services and capital, or the free movement of British retirees, students and workers to the EU. As a result of their decision we now forsake all of those freedoms, and at great cost. They will claim those losses of rights and freedoms, and its cost, to be well worth it. For what ?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member

Brexit in a nutshell. If we can stop those pesky forriners coming to Bognor, we can live without the Costa.

We chose to look inwards.

IndoMike

Brexiters never had a problem with 3.5 of the 4 freedoms; the free movement of goods, services and capital, or the free movement of British retirees, students and workers to the EU. As a result of their decision we now forsake all of those freedoms, and at great cost. They will claim those losses of rights and freedoms, and its cost, to be well worth it. For what ?
The whole thing is a massive mistake and I will NEVER forgive Johnson and his accomplices for doing this. Furthermore, I'm certainly not convinced that they will not abuse the "control" which they desperately wanted to be handed back to them.. Imo Johnson is a mini-Trump. Once again he has shown his true colours this week, cancelling free school lunches for the kids during half-term and arrogantly dismissing the concerns of Scottish farmers regarding their losses due to export bureaucracy. He didn't give a sh*t.
Trump feels entitled, and so does Johnson.
A wolf in a clown's clothing.

Grecian2K

A wolf in a clown's clothing.
Surely you mean lupus in vestimentis pugnandum idoneis se induerunt?
After all, Bozza has a classical education at Eton*, didn't he! Be a shame not to acknowledge it.
(Disclaimer: Jacob Rees Mogg, at the same establishment, always regarded Latin as a modern language)

IndoMike

Surely you mean lupus in vestimentis pugnandum idoneis se induerunt?
After all, Bozza has a classical education at Eton*, didn't he! Be a shame not to acknowledge it.
(Disclaimer: Jacob Rees Mogg, at the same establishment, always regarded Latin as a modern language)
Un lobo vestido como un payaso.
I prefer living languages rather than dead ones.

But yes, I get your drift. Latin is a very appropriate language for both Johnson and Rees-Smug.