• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think you've departed from my meaning a tad. I was more referring to Trump, his family, the yellow- bellied Republican Congresspeople and senators, and those responsible for farking up Britain over the last 10 years, amongst others.
Obviously for the benefit of everyone we want to suffocate Covid. Perhaps when we do the world can focus on undoing all the damage we have done to our planet, if it's not too late. Our kids and grandkids will not forgive our negligence and lethargy regarding this nor will they forgive the naysayers.
Sorry Mike, Too early here, Need to wake up more. But just heard our economy has shrunk by 2.6%, Oh joy!

IndoMike

Sorry Mike, Too early here, Need to wake up more. But just heard our economy has shrunk by 2.6%, Oh joy!
No problem. DB. Seven hours time difference between UK and WIB..... :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that. If it's any comfort - and I know it isn't - we won't be the only country to suffer. But we got the double whammy : high Covid death rate
and farked economy.

tavyred

Bad news.
Not surprising though as this figure for November coincided with a lockdown. I see the economy is in total 8.6% smaller than pre pandemic levels, considering it was at one point over 20% smaller, then it just goes to show how important it was to get the economy unlocked again after the first wave.

DB9

Bad news.
Not surprising though as this figure for November coincided with a lockdown. I see the economy is in total 8.6% smaller than pre pandemic levels, considering it was at one point over 20% smaller, then it just goes to show how important it was to get the economy unlocked again after the first wave.
Indeed but all sides on the Brexit argument agreed the economy will shrink by 10-15% ? It's just this is another thing we can do without. Just my opinion.

tavyred

Indeed but all sides on the Brexit argument agreed the economy will shrink by 10-15% ? It's just this is another thing we can do without. Just my opinion.
I think the projected Brexit shrinkage was over something like a ten year period DB, could be wrong on that though. Over 10 years you would expect U.K. Governments to be able adjust policy to avoid or negate that sort of loss in GDP.
There’s no doubting our services based economy will suffer more than most in lockdown scenarios, but there are grounds for optimism in that an early release from lockdowns if we can vaccinate enough people, could mean we steal a march on other countries and get ourselves up and running again quicker. Ironically, the U.K. overtook India and became the worlds 5th biggest economy again last year.

DB9

I think the projected Brexit shrinkage was over something like a ten year period DB, could be wrong on that though. Over 10 years you would expect U.K. Governments to be able adjust policy to avoid or negate that sort of loss in GDP.
There’s no doubting our services based economy will suffer more than most in lockdown scenarios, but there are grounds for optimism in that an early release from lockdowns if we can vaccinate enough people, could mean we steal a march on other countries and get ourselves up and running again quicker. Ironically, the U.K. overtook India and became the worlds 5th biggest economy again last year.
India I'd imagine have had a pretty big hit too with this virus. Totally agree regarding the vaccine, Keep the rollout strong and high numbers and it will make a real difference and people will spend again and just get out and have a smile on our faces. I do though thank god I'm not in the US, 200k infections a day! We may have our troubles but nothing in compared with the so called world's richest country.

Oldsmobile-88

I have friends in Seattle.One 63 & the other 70.
The older has been given a timeframe of April for a jab & the younger sometime at the end of Summer.
It looks like the one thing this country is doing right is the vaccine roll out.

Dropping a lady to the surgery who is 74 to have her jab today 😁

DB9

I have friends in Seattle.One 63 & the other 70.
The older has been given a timeframe of April for a jab & the younger sometime at the end of Summer.
It looks like the one thing this country is doing right is the vaccine roll out.

Dropping a lady to the surgery who is 74 to have her jab today 😁
Could be right there Olds, If the rollout stays the same a huge chunk of the population will have had the jab in no time.

Good luck to the 74 yr old lady.

Mr Jinx

I do though thank god I'm not in the US, 200k infections a day! We may have our troubles but nothing in compared with the so called world's richest country.
Yes, but they have 330 million people. We only have 70 mill. Therefore our infection rate of 50k a day is a lot worse.

That said, I'm sure we're doing more testing than anyone else in the world. With that in mind, Covid deaths are a much better yardstick.

DB9

Yes, but they have 330 million people. We only have 70 mill. Therefore our infection rate of 50k a day is a lot worse.

That said, I'm sure we're doing more testing than anyone else in the world. With that in mind, Covid deaths are a much better yardstick.
When you have a Government in the US (Until next week) that has virtually said it's not real or just like flu and a healthcare system that only operates on the ability to pay, it is a perfect storm scenario.