• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Johnson forced to promise to resort to Article 16 after irate Irish express their annoyance about the extreme difficulties importing from England. Johnson's comment that these were mere teething problems was scoffed at by the Irish

tavyred

Speaking personally, I was less bothered about the retirement options of those who generally and albeit through no fault of their own had enjoyed the best of it as regards their pensions and house affordability than I was the younger element who were and still are mired in a situation of low wages, high house prices all exacerbated IMO by a bottomless well of cheap foreign Labour able to access in work benefits and unwittingly keeping wages and productivity too low.
Other motivations for voting in a particular way are available.

Grecian2K

Un lobo vestido como un payaso.
I prefer living languages rather than dead ones.
OK then.
How does Una Paloma Blanca suit you instead?

Grecian2K

Speaking personally, I was less bothered about the retirement options of those who generally and albeit through no fault of their own had enjoyed the best of it as regards their pensions and house affordability than I was the younger element who were and still are mired in a situation of low wages, high house prices all exacerbated IMO by a bottomless well of cheap foreign Labour able to access in work benefits and unwittingly keeping wages and productivity too low.
Other motivations for voting in a particular way are available.
Very sly capitalisation of the "l" in "labour" there. A typically cheap shot there? Or merely a Freudian slip?

IndoMike

OK then.
How does Una Paloma Blanca suit you instead?
It doesn't sit well

IndoMike

Very sly capitalisation of the "l" in "labour" there. A typically cheap shot there? Or merely a Freudian slip?
Could be either. But the other day I notice he typed "starmite" instead of "marmite".

Grecian2K

Could be either. But the other day I notice he typed "starmite" instead of "marmite".
Hopefully, in 2024 "Starm" WILL!!!

Oldsmobile-88

Speaking personally, I was less bothered about the retirement options of those who generally and albeit through no fault of their own had enjoyed the best of it as regards their pensions and house affordability
Though don’t forget Tavy the high interest rate for mortgages at the time.I was regularly paying 10% plus in the 1980s & early 90s.
Little or no spare cash about then for lots of homeowners.
A couple of times I had to put a Del Boy ‘Car Tax in Post’ note in my car 😁
I had a decent secure job/trade but still things were pretty tight for people like me & others in similar jobs/professions.

tavyred

Though don’t forget Tavy the high interest rate for mortgages at the time.I was regularly paying 10% plus in the 1980s & early 90s.
Little or no spare cash about then for lots of homeowners.
A couple of times I had to put a Del Boy ‘Car Tax in Post’ note in my car 😁
I had a decent secure job/trade but still things were pretty tight for people like me & others in similar jobs/professions.
Too true.
I got my first mortgage in 90 with an interest rate that would shock the young uns of today. There wasn’t however the sort of unbridgeable gap between house prices and earnings like there is now I would suggest. I also got a 100% mortgage back then, do they even exist now?

Oldsmobile-88

Too true.
I got my first mortgage in 90 with an interest rate that would shock the young uns of today. There wasn’t however the sort of unbridgeable gap between house prices and earnings like there is now I would suggest. I also got a 100% mortgage back then, do they even exist now?
My first mortgage(1982)was strictly a max of 3.5 times salary(the salary was checked with employer) & no allowance for my future spouse.
Iirc a 10% deposit was mandatory.It kept the lid on house prices for much of the 1980s especially with the interest rates.

A friend of mine had his house repossessed(along with many 1,000s of others)during the mega interest rate of the early 1990s.House prices had dropped with the recession,the equity in the deposit was wiped out in a year,job lost & in those days you were out if you got a few months behind with payments.