• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't disagree more. Brexit is done. It'll be old news by 2024 elections.
So when a current Labour MP says most of her Labour colleagues are “desperate to rejoin the EU” and will pressure the leadership post 2024 to make that happen, what does that say to you? It says to me that you can’t trust Labour on Brexit.

tavyred

Having lived in Canterbury when it was rock solid Tory it is hard to believe it is now a Labour seat but it is full of students and rather like Exeter lost to the Tories for ever, or at least until the time the student population is ever reduced.
It’s still very much a Lab/Con marginal Al and the Greens allowed the Libs a free run last time round. Rosie Duffield is not constantly reminding her constituents of her remainer credentials for nothing. A Labour Party with an ambivalent and muddled position on Brexit loses her votes to the Greens and LD’s IMO and allows the possibility of the Tories getting back in.

Alistair20000

It’s still very much a Lab/Con marginal Al and the Greens allowed the Libs a free run last time round. Rosie Duffield is not constantly reminding her constituents of her remainer credentials for nothing. A Labour Party with an ambivalent and muddled position on Brexit loses her votes to the Greens and LD’s IMO and allows the possibility of the Tories getting back in.
On paper yes Tavy but Labour now has the Mo in this seat and I see it following Exeter. I would put a fair wedge of cash down that Labour will win Canterbury at the next General Election. I would not put a penny on this being a Tory gain. Will need to consider if there are boundary changes mind.

In contrast if you look at a former Labour seat such as Newcastle Under Lyme that finally went Tory in 2019 having been moving their way for some time that one will be hard for Labour to recapture.

It is a funny old world

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tories have always played the 'comptence' card, both professionally and economically, and to good effect over the past 50yrs.

They are going to have to substantially buck their ideas up to play that card in 2024.

Literally anything could happen at the next election. Except Ed Davey will not be PM.

IndoMike

My gripe with the whole Brexit deal thing is it was down to virtully the last minute, Great that politicians do this, Looks good i suppose for the media etc. But they gave businesses all over no time to change things, They expected business to change the way they deal with the EU in about a week after dealing with them one way for nearly 50 years, Any "Disruption" will of course refect this, If it continues for months say then the Government have questions to answer but its still only been 10 days.
One of the reasons it was done at the last minute was that there would be no time for the deal to be properly scrutinized. It's the way this Govt works.

IndoMike

Suspect Tarquin and Portia's parents voted for Boris over Ken, twice.
I suspect nobody calls their kids Tarquin and Portia anymore, except the Rees-Mogg types, i.e those living in a distant past.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suspect nobody calls their kids Tarquin and Portia anymore, except the Rees-Mogg types, i.e those living in a distant past.
You haven't been to Hampstead recently Mike! Or Chelsea. Or Chipping Norton.

IndoMike

You haven't been to Hampstead recently Mike! Or Chelsea. Or Chipping Norton.
True, Red. I've just been to Pondok Indah and Pacific Place.
Mind you, with a lot of wealthy expats in Pondok Indah there might be a few Tarquins and Portias there. I even hear there's a Rees-Smug.. :rolleyes:

IndoMike

A really good response from Arnie to Trump.

IndoMike