Politics Today

arthur

I read Tavy’s post as the Dutch not being picky about our role in the liberation of Holland that commenced in 1944 rather than anything to do with the food famine.
Interesting that the countries actually occupied by Germans are OK with being in a Union with them whereas our glorious island nation seems to find it impossible to embrace the concept.

And that those who most buy into this enduring folk myth, that we defeated the third reich during which the Soviets and Americans were mere bit part players, are not those who fought in the war, but those born in the 25 years after it.

Still as "not that long ago" to quote Tavy, becomes "a lifetime ago" for most people under 40, maybe things will eventually change.

Last edited:

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I guess those countries 'actually occupied' would have very good reason for embracing a peace project.

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not surprised that an admittedly flippant remark that referenced a positive aspect of British history was enough to trigger the ‘self-loathers’ on here. 🙄

Hermann

Not surprised that an admittedly flippant remark that referenced a positive aspect of British history was enough to trigger the ‘self-loathers’ on here. 🙄
Not really a surprise is it, when you needlessly invoked the war for absolutely no reason

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
I guess those countries 'actually occupied' would have very good reason for embracing a peace project.
I agree.
I think there is a mainland European ‘mentality’ when it comes to their willingness to co-operate at a supranational level.
Art is also right to flag up a British mentality probably borne out of us never having suffered the trauma of 20th century invasion like they have on the mainland. It’s nobody’s fault but our perspectives are different.
I quite like the situation we’ve arrived at where we can be friends and allies of our EU friends, yet not be ensconced in the project itself,

arthur

Has it ever struck you that equating questioning oneself with self loathing is a sign of deep insecurity?

tavyred

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not really a surprise is it, when you needlessly invoked the war for absolutely no reason
I hate to break it to you, but most of the drivel we all put on here could be described as posting stuff “needlessly”. 👍