• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
From the man himself: Brentford striker Ollie Watkins says interest from Premier League clubs has given him a 'nice feeling,' but that he won't be leaving the Championship side this month.

Watkins: Nice to have PL interest
Nice feeling indeed as long as it doesn't turn his head too much and affects his form, Which other footballers have been known to have happened

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice feeling indeed as long as it doesn't turn his head too much and affects his form, Which other footballers have been known to have happened
Yeah but can you see Ollie having his turned? I can't. Lad is as focused and humble as they come. He knows that he is in control of his future and that hard work is his ticket to the big time. Can't see him giving it any billy big balls attitude regardless of possible job offers.

IndoMike

Yeah but can you see Ollie having his turned? I can't. Lad is as focused and humble as they come. He knows that he is in control of his future and that hard work is his ticket to the big time. Can't see him giving it any billy big balls attitude regardless of possible job offers.
He was patient at City before the move to Brentford and that worked out well. For him if he does move it will be much better that it happens pre-season so he can settle in.

Ian Russon

We are in a excellent league position, have a good team and Ajose is coming back.

I'd rather wait for Watkins to go for a big money move in the summer rather than now.

DB9

No I can't, Hopefully the management team at Brentford would be able to keep the speculation at arms length. I wasn't saying he'd turn into some Billy Big Bollox just that other footballers form has dipped when there has been loads of interest in a player

BerksBee

Liverpool sign 21 yr old reserve striker from Brentford. Not clear what the fee was due to poorly written article. Seems an odd one.
It does seem odd doesn't it, particularly when you consider the shortage of striker options as backup to Watkins. I don't know what the figure was, it's the usual 'undisclosed', but I'm pretty sure they paid something.

The reality is though that whilst Joe Hardy is undoubtedly a prolific goal scorer at B Team level (he's gone to their U23 side) he doesn't do an awful lot outside the 18 yard box. That doesn't fit in with the way Brentford play, as we've seen with the transformation of Watkins, we need strikers to do a lot more than just score goals. That means helping out in defence, tracking back, running off the ball, linkup play, maneuvering defenders around and so on. Hardy did none of that, so they let him go.

Who nows, Klopp and Co may transform him into a prolific Premiership goal scorer or he could end up playing in national league side, I know which one my money would be on!

IndoMike

It does seem odd doesn't it, particularly when you consider the shortage of striker options as backup to Watkins. I don't know what the figure was, it's the usual 'undisclosed', but I'm pretty sure they paid something.

The reality is though that whilst Joe Hardy is undoubtedly a prolific goal scorer at B Team level (he's gone to their U23 side) he doesn't do an awful lot outside the 18 yard box. That doesn't fit in with the way Brentford play, as we've seen with the transformation of Watkins, we need strikers to do a lot more than just score goals. That means helping out in defence, tracking back, running off the ball, linkup play, maneuvering defenders around and so on. Hardy did none of that, so they let him go.

Who nows, Klopp and Co may transform him into a prolific Premiership goal scorer or he could end up playing in national league side, I know which one my money would be on!
I don't know much about him but the fact that he hasn't made Brentford's first team but Liverpool want him just seems odd.

Andy Holloway

Don't you just love it.
A fan who purports to know more about a player, who he at best sees once a fortnight for a short period of time, than a top flight PL Manager and the very experienced scouting team he has around him. Who, will have watched the player, among a myriad of other young players, on numerous occasions before they even expressed any interest in signing him.

As they say; 'You couldn't make it up'!

BerksBee

A fan who purports to know more about a player, who he at best sees once a fortnight for a short period of time, than a top flight PL Manager and the very experienced scouting team he has around him. Who, will have watched the player, among a myriad of other young players, on numerous occasions before they even expressed any interest in signing him.
An interesting interpretation! Thomas Frank was on audio record recently as having said in response to the question as to why Joe Hardy hasn't made it into the first team: 'He needs to find another club'. I've given you the reasons (or my interpretation of them having seen him play) as to why he may hold that view. You're at liberty to interpret the situation any way you wish!

IndoMike

Don't you just love it.

As they say; 'You couldn't make it up'!