• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Number 9 shirt

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whoever is wearing the new kit here is very sleight. Presumably it's Ben Seymour.

If you watch the full reveal video, Ben Seymour is wearing white boots, while Jake Taylor is the only person donning a red pair.

Average Joe

As mentioned previously Bowman is worthy of the no9 shirt. There has literally been very, very few players who do deserve it, not for any other reason then it's a special number to us fans and we haven't had a striker who's been so committed since the likes of Logan, Stanno and even Clinton Morrison. We have had some good strikers recently do not get me wrong, but even Cureton was keen to exit the club and come back a couple of years later, doesn't make a bad player but just not quite worthy of the no9 shirt.

I'd hate to see a player have no9 on his back but look to exit the club in January after netting some goals. It's a difficult decision, reinstating the no9 shirt is the correct thing to do, but the player must want it, earn it and be dedicated to it.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve seen some on Twitter saying it’s Tom Nichols and he’ll be the #9...But yeah, it’s probably Seymour.
I seriously hope not. I'd much rather Seymour got some decent game time next year than bring back Nichols, he's barely kicked on since leaving us and wouldn't add anything to our squad IMO.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’d give it to bowman as he gives everything, every game, like stanno did. Not sure I’d use “committed” and “Clinton Morrison” in the same sentence, but there you go. I’m probably taking a whoosh there.

Rosencrantz

Two seasons under Terry Cooper is a miniscule buck in the trend.
And 76/77 😉

Average Joe

I’d give it to bowman as he gives everything, every game, like stanno did. Not sure I’d use “committed” and “Clinton Morrison” in the same sentence, but there you go. I’m probably taking a whoosh there.
I meant committed to the club, Clinton loves Exeter and speaks very highly of his time here. Correct me if I'm wrong but in his last season did he not play for virtually free?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’ve seen some on Twitter saying it’s Tom Nichols and he’ll be the #9.
Hmm, the wording used doesn't say its a current City player, just someone who is a ‘home-grown’ player, which leaves scope for this speculation.

Dannyred

The club did the right thing when Stanno died, retire it for nine years. That time has elapsed and it's time get the shirt back in business on the person who should wear it.......... the club's main striker, traditionally the wearer of any clubs number nine shirt. Anything else is just sentimental codswallop in today's generation wetwipe.
So every GK has to be number 1 or 13 plus every left back number 3 ? Numbers for positions have long gone, it’s a different world now.

that’s why the club retiring the 9 shirt for good would of been more beneficial to the cause of Adams death but the club are not the greatest at thinking forward.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
So every GK has to be number 1 or 13 plus every left back number 3 ? Numbers for positions have long gone, it’s a different world now.

that’s why the club retiring the 9 shirt for good would of been more beneficial to the cause of Adams death but the club are not the greatest at thinking forward.
Yeah I expect they just made a rash decision in this. Probably didn't even think about speaking to Stanno's family.

Rosencrantz

Naming a stand after Stanno has a far more impact than a shirt number missing. Probably most new, neutral or away fans who come to the Park will see Stanno's name on the stand. They probably won't go, where's the number 9? After all, as has been pointed out, different world when it comes to numbers these days. Not having a number 9 won't cause anyone who doesn't know about Stanno to blink an eyelid, seeing his name on the stand will at the least cause some curiosity.