• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Number 9 shirt

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure if this has been discussed already but isn’t the number 9 shirt going to be used again from next season?

I’m sure we retired it for 9 seasons when Stanno passed in 2010?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Would be good to have a number 9 back on the pitch , can see some people possibly not wanting it back though and leave in permanent retirement.

Maybe there could be a poll to see how people would feel Mods ?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not sure if this has been discussed already but isn’t the number 9 shirt going to be used again from next season?

I’m sure we retired it for 9 seasons when Stanno passed in 2010?
This is my recollection of the position. Hard to believe that was nearly 9 years ago.

Temporarily Exiled

Save it for Jay.

andrew p long

Stanno had the number nine shirt for 2010-11 IIRC though sadlydied in the first week of the season. So the nine seasons could be counted as starting from the following 2011 season.

Still too raw recent and painful for the number nine shirt to be allocated IMHO

Temporarily Exiled

When it is eventually handed out, if not to his son, then it needs to be somebody that is ECFC through-and-through. Would feel very wrong for a new signing (that may have no understanding of the significance of Stanno to the club and the fans) to be the one to take the mantle.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

The official announcement of the 9 season retirement of the number 9 shirt did not specify an actual date when the retirement would cease to apply.

I tend to agree that August this year is a bit too soon to start using it again.

TE also makes a good point over the choice of the individual to first have the shirt.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

The official announcement of the 9 season retirement of the number 9 shirt did not specify an actual date when the retirement would cease to apply.

I tend to agree that August this year is a bit too soon to start using it again.

TE also makes a good point over the choice of the individual to first have the shirt.
Not an actual date, but it did say for nine seasons. If that’s up now then put it back in circulation.

Oldsmobile-88

When it is eventually handed out, if not to his son, then it needs to be somebody that is ECFC through-and-through. Would feel very wrong for a new signing (that may have no understanding of the significance of Stanno to the club and the fans) to be the one to take the mantle.
It’s just a squad number..Sad as Adams premature death was,it’s time to move on.

The mention of his son to have the shirt is not a good idea.Any young player has enough pressure on them without any added expectation in a profession where 95% at aged 18 do not make a career out of the professional game.

Adam Stansfields legacy is well remembered at the club with the new stand.

grecIAN Harris

I'm with Olds on this one. It's a number and one that is associated to every club and its own bit of history due to its connection with the strikers position. If he had the squad associated with the year of his birth (as happens quite often in Europe) I can understand the sentimentality about it.