• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Number 9 shirt

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Depends on your outlook. Many people who have worn a uniform of a particular regiment have been inspired by those who wore it before them, often in tragic circumstances. I would like to think that Stanno’s shirt could inspire a youngster to try that little bit harder and be that little bit better. Most professional sportsman are already mentally tough otherwise they would not be where they are even at our level. Treated with the respect it deserves why not and especially with the support of the family.
I meant his own child. I've no issues with Seymour or whoever having it.

Benguin

I meant his own child. I've no issues with Seymour or whoever having it.
Sorry, I agree with that point.

Ash

I can't get my head around people who think that it would be a good idea to burden a child with that. Mental.
I think it depends on the individual. If it had been my Dad, I think I would have wanted to wear it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whoever is wearing the new kit here is very sleight. Presumably it's Ben Seymour.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whoever is wearing the new kit here is very sleight. Presumably it's Ben Seymour.

I’ve seen some on Twitter saying it’s Tom Nichols and he’ll be the #9...But yeah, it’s probably Seymour.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having the number nine shirt represented by a home grown player is ideal and a reflection on the circumstances as the club and family have made clear. It's almost certainly going to be Seymour this season and hopefully this will be a tradition the club can forge from now on, and yes, that does mean even when we might not have a home grown centre forward to wear it. Former successful number nine wearers have included Brian McDermott and Lammie Robertson in promotion winning seasons, and even Chris Vinnicombe when he broke into the team at left back!
Not forgetting “cannon ball shot” Ted Calland an old fashioned centre forward and surely Flacky also wore the number 9. Having said that I think the idea of giving it to a youngster who has come through the ranks, always supposing he is a striker, is an excellent idea.

Rosencrantz

Not forgetting “cannon ball shot” Ted Calland an old fashioned centre forward and surely Flacky also wore the number 9.
Ted Calland is a bit before my time! Flacky went with 14 as a squad number although he probably did wear 9 before squad numbers came in. The last home grown number 9 is, I think, Reinier Moor!

grecIAN Harris

The club did the right thing when Stanno died, retire it for nine years. That time has elapsed and it's time get the shirt back in business on the person who should wear it.......... the club's main striker, traditionally the wearer of any clubs number nine shirt. Anything else is just sentimental codswallop in today's generation wetwipe.

Rosencrantz

The club did the right thing when Stanno died, retire it for nine years. That time has elapsed and it's time get the shirt back in business on the person who should wear it.......... the club's main striker, traditionally the wearer of any clubs number nine shirt. Anything else is just sentimental codswallop in today's generation wetwipe.
Not, as it has been shown though, a tradition of this particular club.

grecIAN Harris

Not, as it has been shown though, a tradition of this particular club.
Two seasons under Terry Cooper is a miniscule buck in the trend.