• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

rooecfc

So another goal for MJ today… I am curious as to what people value him for the next window. He is now a proven goal scorer at this level, with his minutes per goal ever since the start of the 2019/20 season being superb. A player with time left on his contract, still not in his prime years. I see no reason why we should’ve value him at at least £750,000 to a £million.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
So another goal for MJ today… I am curious as to what people value him for the next window. He is now a proven goal scorer at this level, with his minutes per goal ever since the start of the 2019/20 season being superb. A player with time left on his contract, still not in his prime years. I see no reason why we should’ve value him at at least £750,000 to a £million.
Tell anyone who comes in during the window to sod right off, he's priceless to us !

robchave

Although he's scoring for us, I couldn't really see him playing above L1 level. That, I think, would limit his value to other clubs. I think we should make sure he's really happy with us and hope that he stays. If he's playing in L1, I want it to be with City.

rooecfc

Although he's scoring for us, I couldn't really see him playing above L1 level. That, I think, would limit his value to other clubs. I think we should make sure he's really happy with us and hope that he stays. If he's playing in L1, I want it to be with City.
I do agree, think I read here someone described him as a niche player, one that may not fit into other teams systems. Sounds like it could have some truth

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should have a "Not for Sale" sign on him.

grecIAN Harris

Should have a "Not for Sale" sign on him.
Certainly too good for Salford never mind Sale.

andrew p long

MJ valuation for ECFC purposes - higher than what any club would be willing to pay in January. But I wonder whether a release clause at a set fee (750k a la Stockley?) got included in the new contract!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
MJ valuation for ECFC purposes - higher than what any club would be willing to pay in January. But I wonder whether a release clause at a set fee (750k a la Stockley?) got included in the new contract!
I very much doubt there is a release clause as that seemed to be very much a legacy of the Tisdale era.

As for MJ, I was listening to the home commentary for the Salford game and the Salford keeper who was summarising made the point that opposition players consider MJ as too good for this level. The difference for me this season is that he's now added the ability to be a poacher in the six-yard box to his other attributes which means not only he is still scoring high-class goals like at Crawley away but also scruffy ones like on Saturday.

Banksy

Priceless to us at the moment. We might get three quarters of a million but I suspect Taylor would only get a third or so of that for his budget.Who is going to replace those goals , a sale in January might even do for our promotion push.At least leave it for next season , if he keeps scoring ( and barring injuries , heaven forbid why not ) , there will be plenty of takers then.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I very much doubt there is a release clause as that seemed to be very much a legacy of the Tisdale era.

As for MJ, I was listening to the home commentary for the Salford game and the Salford keeper who was summarising made the point that opposition players consider MJ as too good for this level. The difference for me this season is that he's now added the ability to be a poacher in the six-yard box to his other attributes which means not only he is still scoring high-class goals like at Crawley away but also scruffy ones like on Saturday.
Stockley's release clause presumably would have been part of his wage negotiations. I'd imagine he agreed to lower wages with us than he was on at Aberdeen / he wanted so long as the release clause was inserted.