• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Jay

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Stockley's release clause presumably would have been part of his wage negotiations. I'd imagine he agreed to lower wages with us than he was on at Aberdeen / he wanted so long as the release clause was inserted.
That may well be true but the point is that the only two times players have been known to have activated release clauses, JMT and Stockley, were as a result of contracts signed during Tisdale's last season at the club. There has been no suggestion that any contract signed since Taylor became manager has contained a release clause.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That may well be true but the point is that the only two times players have been known to have activated release clauses, JMT and Stockley, were as a result of contracts signed during Tisdale's last season at the club. There has been no suggestion that any contract signed since Taylor became manager has contained a release clause.
That we know of. Only time will tell.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Priceless to us at the moment. We might get three quarters of a million but I suspect Taylor would only get a third or so of that for his budget.Who is going to replace those goals , a sale in January might even do for our promotion push.At least leave it for next season , if he keeps scoring ( and barring injuries , heaven forbid why not ) , there will be plenty of takers then.
MJ has more value to the team at the moment than say 30% of any transfer fee. We’ve seen in the last few years as well as things are going the squad will still need strengthening in January not weakening if we’re to sustain a promotion push.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
MJ has more value to the team at the moment than say 30% of any transfer fee. We’ve seen in the last few years as well as things are going the squad will still need strengthening in January not weakening if we’re to sustain a promotion push.
I'm not sure we need to strengthen as I think our current squad is good enough to challenge for promotion. However, I'm very worried about players leaving and us not being able to replace them adequately. Unfortunately our record in previous Januaries doesn't fill me with confidence.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure we need to strengthen as I think our current squad is good enough to challenge for promotion. However, I'm very worried about players leaving and us not being able to replace them adequately. Unfortunately our record in previous Januaries doesn't fill me with confidence.
We shall need to strengthen, standing still is not an option, in fact could blow autos as all around will be strengthening as well. If only to strengthen the competition among players and give more extensive cover for the run-in.

We won't be releasing any of our main squad players in January unless it is for silly money!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We do well - we get asset stripped. Twas ever thus at ECFC.

.....Until now I hope.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
We shall need to strengthen, standing still is not an option, in fact could blow autos as all around will be strengthening as well. If only to strengthen the competition among players and give more extensive cover for the run-in.

We won't be releasing any of our main squad players in January unless it is for silly money!
While I agree with what you are saying, from this interview on the BBC today it looks like we won't be able to strengthen too much in January. A little bit surprised as I thought I had either read or heard a previous interview from MT where he said we would be better placed this January to strengthen.

Ultimately, and most importantly I hope that we are able to keep hold of everyone until the end of the season to really give it a right go this year!

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
“But I don't want us to be a nearly team this season."

That last sentence of the article about sums it up.Think we might if we sell in January.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
“But I don't want us to be a nearly team this season."

That last sentence of the article about sums it up.Think we might if we sell in January.
Plus the headline could be adjusted to:-
Exeter City boss Matt Taylor eyes League Two success before stars and him move on

ExmouthMart

The thing that caught my eye about that article was that apparently Bowman left for a big fee! Surely a modest fee would have been more like it. We are much better up front now with Jay, Nombe, Brown and Amond. Jay is a quality player at this level and probably League One at least. As is always said someone matches our valuation and it’s an undisclosed fee coming our way.