• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Loan signings that made an immediate impact in league 2

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see Grecian Jay's mate Billy Kee has joined Mansfield on loan, good signing.

Regarding Woodman, he frustrates me, he gets into decent positions and gets a lot of the ball however he seems to lack a bit of drive at key times, for me he is a 6 / 10 league two full back, i.e. we could do worse however we could also do better.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Billy Kee proven goalscorer at this level and able to hold the ball up = perfect partner for Nichols

Available for loan

Joins a side further down the table than us

Did we consider a move ? Or approach him ?

Tisdales use of the loan system is poor

Colesman Ballz

Billy Kee proven goalscorer at this level and able to hold the ball up = perfect partner for Nichols

Available for loan

Think Geography is the reason Kee has joined Mansfield, and wouldn't join us. If I recall rightly, Kee joined Turkey from Leicester, and although doing well there, claimed that he was homesick, hence the reason for a move back to the East Midlands with Burton. Probably likes his mums cooking !;)

On the up

His technical ability is not at the standard of most of the team and, coupled with his lack of pace and attacking ability, I think we should be looking for an upgrade. Yes he's steady, but his crossing is poor and watching Callum Kennedy excel at left-back tonight for Wimbledon showed that we can do a lot better.
Always thought Woodman was technically good, it's his drive to make things happen that is lacking. He is an experienced pro who does just enough each week. Pity because he could do so much more but tend to feel, he caps his contribution. That's just Woody.

On the up

Available for loan

Billy Kee has scored in the past. His time at Scunthorpe was a disaster, over weight and out of form. Don't think he played a good game for them. Hence when new manager Robins arrived he's on his way.
however, if he can regain his fitness and sharpness, Mansfield might have found a good player. He'll be available in summer.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Probably likes his mums cooking !;)
From the look of him, Billy Kee likes everyone's cooking.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Regardless he would walk into our side

Dobley

Nope.

I don't understand this clamouring over the loan system as some 'golden goose' and the argument that Tis is being in someway negligent in under-exploiting the system. It's not 'poor', its sticking by a design.

Who was the last 'starlet' we signed from a Premiership club who made a substantial first team impact? Troy, some years ago? Before that? Gary Alexander, many more years previously?

And realistically, how many players in recent seasons have we seen come down on loan to other teams around us and tear the division apart?

I remember watching Sky Sports Football League highlights 15 years ago and seeing all these players 'on loan from' scoring all these goals, or making all these passes or saves and thinking "why aren't we getting these guys in"?

But the times have changed. Ultimately, if they are obvious League 2 beaters already at 17, 18, 19 years old, then what its the point in Liverpool, Chelsea or whoever sending them down to League 2? They don't care if they are good enough for this level, they want them to develop and prove they are good enough for the next level up. And up again. And with academies flush with foreign youngsters, why not send them home to play? When said 17-20s were English, fine, find them a temporary English home. But when they are Dutch, French, German or whatever, you may as well send them to play in Bunds.2 as you to send them to play in League 2.

That leaves us with the punts. The maybe-they-might-make-its. We're not sure of their quality, but why dont you test drive them for us. Its pure short-termism. If they make the grade and shine like a star; thanks very much, we'll take them back now and try them at a higher level to see if they actually have a chance of bridging the widening chasm between the lower leagues and top flight. We need to know now before we waste any more £10ks per week on them. If they flop, well, all we've done is answered the question for the bigger clubs and not really gained much ourselves in the process.

And also, isn't it completely opposed to what we are meant to be striving for as a club to a certain degree?
Developing our own youth? Deride Tis all you want on formations, team selections, substitutions or whatever, but you can never accuse him of having a flimsy or fickle philosophy.

Moxey, Friend, Seaborne, Grimes, Sercombe, Nichols and so on. If we had been a prolific loaning club in the past, would these guys have come through and a) contributed to the team and b) contributed to the bottom line of the clubs finances? Doesn't loaning in 17-20s from above undermine the idea that we want to develop or take in young footballers and develop them ourselves?

No, Im happy for Tis to continue to use the market as he does right now. Fill a few short-term emergencies with experienced heads. If we're going to get kiddies into the team, they will be our own, and for our benefit alone.

Anywho, back to obscurity.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Not entirely sure of the point you're trying to make, I wonder if they'll continue in such a vein.
Lost at Hartlepool yesterday.

Last edited:

wemissmoxey

I see Cameron McGeehan scored twice on his debut yesterday for Cambridge, he also hit the bar, he's on loan from Norwich.

We signed a bloke who probably won't even be fit enough to start a game for a couple of weeks.

Chalk and cheese.