• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 managers salary rates

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Given its a trust run club and were unique and all about the community are the wages of those allowed to be disclosed ?

Genuine question

PeteUSA

Truth is Pete we genuinely don't know. Many people haven't had pay rises in that time - I certainly didn't - so it's not a given that they must have and that they must be back to 2009 figures. Indeed, if money's been as bad as we're constantly told, who's to say they haven't had further pay cuts?
Boy, would I like to know what they're on now. Good point about possible further paycuts Ant; but I wouldnt have thought they would have been significant if there were any. Who knows, but heres hoping we'll be saving something like 135K per annum pretty quickly.

PeteUSA

Given its a trust run club and were unique and all about the community, are the wages of those allowed to be disclosed ?
Apparently not, even though we're a trust run club. Interesting question though; who among the trust and club boards would be privvy to Tisdales actual remuneration.

IndoMike

I would have thought the modern day wages for TT&P would be at about the 2009 declaration. Okay they all took paycuts, but dont you think that with cost of living increases over the past 7 years that the three are all back at those old figures circa 250k per annum.
I have no idea

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
The only possibility I could see of further pay cuts would be when we had to go to the pfa, but the question then would also be, would there have been rises given following the grimes sale and cup windfalls? It's not sensible imo to think that tisdale would be on less than 135k now. Even if he had taken another 10% cut 120k or a bit over is still too much for an under performing league two manager.

Alistair20000

I would have thought the modern day wages for TT&P would be at about the 2009 declaration. Okay they all took paycuts, but dont you think that with cost of living increases over the past 7 years that the three are all back at those old figures circa 250k per annum.
Pete: Mr Tagg was paid £45,000 as disclosed in the last accounts. He is NOT back to £75,000.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Given its a trust run club and were unique and all about the community are the wages of those allowed to be disclosed ?

Genuine question
Got this from our lawyer

“Also a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 to publish personal information about employees!”

IndoMike

Got this from our lawyer

“Also a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 to publish personal information about employees!”
I don't disagree with you and I'm not obsessed with knowing the club employees' salaries, but isn't it true that PL players salaries, England mabagers' salaries, the PM's salaries, and many others' salaries are published?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member

Genuine question
Also this was published in the comments section on the express and echo site

Comment 1: KSearle appears to have stolen my thunder in pointing out the hysterical, illogical and factually inaccurate nature of many of Mr Thompson's arguments. For one thing I'm not aware of any club in the Football League that publicises the salaries of individual employees in the way that Mr. Thompson demands - as far as I can ascertain none of the other Trust-owned clubs do so. In fact it is rare to find any private business outside of football that behaves like this - there was actually an article in the FT about kinder, gentler creative and funky tech start-ups beginning to fully disclose individual salaries, which itself is an indication that such behaviour is not the norm. There may well be an argument for companies doing so in general, but to expect a small club like ours to be pioneers in a cut-throat and ruthless business is unrealistic. After all, due to our terrible location and budget we struggle to attract and keep talent as it is without creating further disincentives around privacy. It baffles me how the moaners constantly (and erroneously) complain of supposed gross underachievement, yet regularly call for half-baked initiatives that would cause more problems than they would solve. While attendances are down, they are certainly not the outlandish harbingers of impending doom that Mr Thompson (and I daresay the more shrill voices on the infamous exeweb) imply. Far from being an unprecedented disaster, an average home attendance of 3.498 is higher than in 15 of our 23 fourth-tier seasons since 1975 - indeed it is higher than in two of our THIRD-tier seasons during our stint there in the nineteen-eighties. It seems that attendances have become a curious focus for hysteria in certain quarters over the past few years (I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with "e" and ending in "web"). While it is true that attendances have dropped this season and while some concerns over this are legitimate, certain individuals and websites were ringing the alarm and demanding heads be separated from torsos when we were actually enjoying some of our higher attendances of the past forty years. The illogical cause for their complaints seemed to be the fact that our attendances in League 2 were lower than we achieved in League 1, during one of the most successful periods in our history which included or joint-highest ever finish. Moreover those higher attendances were achieved in an anomaly of a League 1 that due to unusual circumstances contained a number of big-to-huge clubs with unsually large away support and were therfore unusually high - for example that era included the only seasons we have achieved a 5'000 average attendance since 1965. Mr. Thompson's language in describing "rows of empty seats and the vast empty spaces on the Big Bank, for an attractive fixture against Portsmouth" illustrates the sort of thing I'm talking about. This attractive fixture just happened to take place on an August Bank Holiday weekend - a weekend where attendances are always somewhat sparse at many football grounds, for reasons which I shouldn't need to spell out. (Or should I?)

Comment 2: Using David Thompson's logic that attendances are falling due to fans not being told about club employees' salaries, that would mean that under private ownership City's (and other clubs') crowds would be virtually zero as no business would be naive enough to publish such sensitive information. The rest of the letter is guesswork and more than a little hyperbole at it's best I'm afraid. The lowering of attendances (and for someone claiming to have supported the club for 60-odd years they have been FAR lower - check out the "glory days" of the 1980s) can mostly be laid at the door of the dire home results we've endured these last couple of years. Without a doubt questions need to be asked and answered honestly about Paul Tisdale's future at the club, but that isn't the main thrust of the letter. As the previous commentator says, the Trust needs to communicate more often and more effectively, but likewise some of the fans need a reality check. Why does David Thompson need to know what club employees are earning? What would he do with such information? We elect Trust representatives to do that for us, and if you're not happy with how they do their job then you know the answer. There are Trust elections coming up, put your name forward and do something positive!

Comment 3: Being trust-owned does not mean departing from sensible practice within the football business. We still have to compete for players / coaches etc. and this would be harder if everyone knew how much money we had available (it would put the price up). We also might be a less attractive employer if we published everyone's salary. I agree the Club & Trust should communicate better but we have to be sensible about transparency. As for recent attendances, there could be several factors at play and I would be surprised if lack of financial transparency was a main one for a large majority of fans. More likely poor home form, school holidays and a several home games in a month being too expensive for some.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
I don't disagree with you and I'm not obsessed with knowing the club employees' salaries, but isn't it true that PL players salaries, England mabagers' salaries, the PM's salaries, and many others' salaries are published?
They maybe published but doesn't mean it's correct. It's never published by a club to my knowledge

But government is different gravy as they are in a public office