• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joel Randall (to Peterborough)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Joel Randall has yet to prove that his body, especially his hamstrings, can stand up to the physical challenges of professional football so I'd have thought that any club signing him would be taking a big risk. And while the wage increase is obviously a temptation I'd have thought he'd better off spending another season in league 2 trying to prove his fitness before he moving up to a higher level.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's a bit of a gamble whatever the club do. If there are several clubs chasing Joel, we can wait until we get the deal we want, no doubt with significant add ons. If we wait until January and Joel keeps performing it will drive the attention and price up further even with his contract situation as any tribunal value would only go up with the more games and success he has.

The ideal move for City could well be someone like Norwich who probably wouldn't be looking to pitch Joel straight into the PL and might be agreeable to a loan back. Or might it be better for an Ollie like move to someone like Peterborough, where he is more likely to get games quicker with a hefty sell on?

All the while you have to hope Joel's hamstring comes back strengthened.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll just be happy to see Joel playing again and as good as he was pre injury.
As with Josh Key, it would be great to see Joel playing at the Park in front of a proper crowd of home fans.

Boyo

I know I’m in the minority around here but there comes a point when a player is worth more to the team than his value in money 750k:(
IF we sell him, we will be weaker next season. There's no way we'll replace him with equal or better within our wage structure and without a chunky transfer fee. However, £750k is still a huge amount of money for us. Plus there's a risk that if he does stay we don't see the best of him (ala Randal Williams). Given we don't need the money now, and that even if his contract expires he can't leave on a free, then I think we should keep him.

Red Devon

IF we sell him, we will be weaker next season. There's no way we'll replace him with equal or better within our wage structure and without a chunky transfer fee. However, £750k is still a huge amount of money for us. Plus there's a risk that if he does stay we don't see the best of him (ala Randal Williams). Given we don't need the money now, and that even if his contract expires he can't leave on a free, then I think we should keep him.
I know it’s a dilemma for the club, but for the team it’s another step backwards if Joel goes...maybe Nelson can breakthrough but again it’s likely to be a learning season for him.

Grecian Max

I'll just be happy to see Joel playing again and as good as he was pre injury.
For Celtic?

manc grecian

Probs get that at tribunal so still think north of £1m or a very hefty sell on %
Yep. Tribunals have changed a bit and no longer offer 5p and a packet of rolls. I'd hold out for north of 1m

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Others on Exeweb have said IIRC that his contract runs to next summer. Anyone got anything definitive?

Dismayed by this, as I've just come from watching the video of Bowman's City goals, the last couple of minutes of which stark reminders of how much we've missed Joel.

Charlton said they'd had a bid turned down pre injury, reputedly 300k IIRC, with City looking for £1m but,as you say, probably would settle for 750k.
I meant next summer.

IndoMike

Celtic still rumoured to be interested in Randall as are Norwich.

Colesman Ballz

Celtic still rumoured to be interested in Randall as are Norwich.
See post #235 !