• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jamal Blackman

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I just don't think you can be good for L1 level but not good enough for championship
Middle to lower Championship, agree; but because of parachute payments to ex-PL clubs, top 8 or so of Championship is very different from L1.

Grecianpasty

So he's good for league one but not good enough for Championship? Come on pasty think about what you're saying. It's not that big a difference for a keeper. Pym comfortably made the step from L2 to Championship.
To put it into perspective Snoop, compare a Tim Krul at Norwich, a player who has played a numerous amount of games in the Premier league to whoever is in goal at Morecombe. Then compare that same Morecombe goalkeeper to whoever plays in goal for Barrow...theres a big distinction in quality, even more so with goalkeepers.

Most league Two, and top end conference players could play in league one. The same can't be said for League one players taking the step up to the championship.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Money talks. Parachute payments and TV money make a huge difference. The latter is divided 80:12:8 between the three leagues, ie Championship teams get 10X the money from solidarity payments / TV that L2 clubs get. Crudely, other things being equal one can pay £500K, the other £50K

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
He does however seem to subscribe to the "kick it very near the touchline and risk it going out for a throw to them, as that's better than kicking it down the middle" school of thought.
Because you don't want to bang it down the throat of a big centre half who heads it back in our direction with purchase putting us under pressure from our own goal kick. Worst case scenario kicking it towards the touchline is we concede a throw in their half.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Because you don't want to bang it down the throat of a big centre half who heads it back in our direction with purchase putting us under pressure from our own goal kick. Worst case scenario kicking it towards the touchline is we concede a throw in their half.
Is the correct answer.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I understand that, but this exchange arose from Spanks saying Blackman is not as good at kicking as Dawson - and he did just that a fair bit. I don't disagree that Dawson is overall a slightly better kicker than Blackman, BTW, just trying to give some context.

milts

Starting to question Blackman in goal. Whilst not at fault for any of the 3, I thought he should have done better with the third and Dawson would have saved the second.

Questionable decision making and kicking also. A massive downgrade on Dawson.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Starting to question Blackman in goal. Whilst not at fault for any of the 3, I thought he should have done better with the third and Dawson would have saved the second.

Questionable decision making and kicking also. A massive downgrade on Dawson.
Very much my own thoughts and indeed Jokul.

tonykellowfan

I have been saying the same for weeks.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The daft hair and especially the green dye needs to go. Feckin’ dire.