• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jamal Blackman

Number13

Now we have seen him in 10 games or so, what do people think?

I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed. For me he shows why big is not always better, he seems to lack mobility and is often slow off his line. The shot he let in last night was pretty regulation stuff and should have been saved.

Dawson was a far better keeper.
I think he's carrying some timber which hopefully the staff (hence we need a GK Coach) can shift and he'll be more mobile then. He's also not had a pre-season so can be cut some slack

At the moment in a straight decision, I'd take Dawson but both are decent L1 keepers (and maybe better) but we can only afford one of them.......

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Keeping wise, I'd not say one was better than the other. Dawson's kicking is light years ahead of JB's though. I think Jamal has borrowed Chris Todd's old boots.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Keeping wise, I'd not say one was better than the other. Dawson's kicking is light years ahead of JB's though. I think Jamal has borrowed Chris Todd's old boots.
I think his kicking is largely being hampered by an injury that he is carrying. If we can clear the injury, I am sure it will be fine.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think his kicking is largely being hampered by an injury that he is carrying. If we can clear the injury, I am sure it will be fine.
He does however seem to subscribe to the "kick it very near the touchline and risk it going out for a throw to them, as that's better than kicking it down the middle" school of thought.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
He does however seem to subscribe to the "kick it very near the touchline and risk it going out for a throw to them, as that's better than kicking it down the middle" school of thought.
Pretty sure that's what they're coached to do. The rationale being there's a very good chance that the opposition full back competing for the header from the keeper's kick will head the ball into touch. Then play restarts from a throw in in the opponent's half.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Blackman is far more dominant in the air. He comes for crosses that Daws would only stand and look at.

Grecianpasty

He's a good goalkeeper at this level. I don't see him as a championship one though.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's a good goalkeeper at this level. I don't see him as a championship one though.
So he's good for league one but not good enough for Championship? Come on pasty think about what you're saying. It's not that big a difference for a keeper. Pym comfortably made the step from L2 to Championship.

tonykellowfan

So he's good for league one but not good enough for Championship? Come on pasty think about what you're saying. It's not that big a difference for a keeper. Pym comfortably made the step from L2 to Championship.
I think this is slightly rewriting history. Pym is back in L2 where he has spent most of his career. He has had 2 seasons in L1 and a handful of games in the Championship.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this is slightly rewriting history. Pym is back in L2 where he has spent most of his career. He has had 2 seasons in L1 and a handful of games in the Championship.
Perhaps Pym is not the best example. I just don't think you can be good for L1 level but not good enough for championship