• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for serious changes at the club

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
And when we ran out of money and the PFA had to step in, I presume that was a failure of the Trust. As you said, they are the ones calling the shots. You can't cherry pick the successes and ignore the failures.
Not the Club's finest hour in recent times but 6 years ago now, so of limited relevance to current circumstances. Actually, it was principally a failure of the Club Board at the time. The Trust were also criticised for not knowing about it until after the event, which IMO had some force, but to be fair they did take swift action to rectify the position.

This from Wikipedia explains the context (though it's not the whole story):

"In June 2014, the club received a short-term loan for £100,000 from the PFA (which comes with a transfer embargo) in order to help with the running costs. The club stated that the short-term loan was needed due to a fall in attendances and a lower than expected uptake of season ticket renewals. Both the club and the Trust were heavily criticised following the news, with the Trust being accused of not monitoring the club well or reporting back to its members. This led to a restructuring process at the club, with the chairman and chief executive resigning over the summer and the secretary (who was also a director of the Trust) leaving both of his roles. In light of the changes at the club, the Trust increased its representation on the club board to 50%, with it now being made up of four Trust board members and four club directors. Prior to these changes, the Trust's stake entitled it to elect two of its board members to the club board. The loan was repaid on 15 August 2014, lifting with it the club's transfer embargo."

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
John

Was that when Conway was pushed/jumped/flounced?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
😀 My bad,.. should have put an emoji after it.
Perhaps you should have added Women after Chelsea too, before the emoji ! Lol.

Alistair20000

Not the Club's finest hour in recent times but 6 years ago now, so of limited relevance to current circumstances. Actually, it was principally a failure of the Club Board at the time. The Trust were also criticised for not knowing about it until after the event, which IMO had some force, but to be fair they did take swift action to rectify the position.

This from Wikipedia explains the context (though it's not the whole story):

"In June 2014, the club received a short-term loan for £100,000 from the PFA (which comes with a transfer embargo) in order to help with the running costs. The club stated that the short-term loan was needed due to a fall in attendances and a lower than expected uptake of season ticket renewals. Both the club and the Trust were heavily criticised following the news, with the Trust being accused of not monitoring the club well or reporting back to its members. This led to a restructuring process at the club, with the chairman and chief executive resigning over the summer and the secretary (who was also a director of the Trust) leaving both of his roles. In light of the changes at the club, the Trust increased its representation on the club board to 50%, with it now being made up of four Trust board members and four club directors. Prior to these changes, the Trust's stake entitled it to elect two of its board members to the club board. The loan was repaid on 15 August 2014, lifting with it the club's transfer embargo."
In addition Steve Williams the FD fell on his sword a few months after the announcement at the Trust AGM that he and others had “taken our eyes off the ball” leading up to the cash crisis. Keith Mason has been an excellent replacement.

Alistair20000

John

He was expelled in the Summer of 2014 RP at about the time of this debacle but not because of it.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
And when we ran out of money and the PFA had to step in, I presume that was a failure of the Trust. As you said, they are the ones calling the shots. You can't cherry pick the successes and ignore the failures.
I don't get really get this. Of course bad things that happened under the trust's watch are the responsibility of the trust... while everything should be judged in its proper context.

If you want an example of trust mismanagement, go for the time they converted the loan to the club into a gift without consulting the membership.

I'm not on here giving the trust undiluted praise, shutting down "debate" (about what?), or anything else...

I'm asking what your plan is? Lots of people think we should discuss alternative plans... nothings been put forward. Fair enough if you don't have an alternative... I don't either. Just don't pretend to be being silenced, when you've just got nothing to say.

As you apparently stood for election, I assume you're not just a troll, but you certainly give a good impression of one... going round in circles, never actually offering anything, collecting people who are irritated into responses as if you're hunting for game. Leave it out, mate. We're all bored and frustrated with the lockdown. If you want to have a proper conversation, then I'm happy to hear about any ideas, even if not fully formulated... If you want to go on the merry-go-round of pretending everyone's in a cult, you're being silenced, etc.... come on... grow up a bit.

Dannyred

John

So what was the real reason behind his departure?

ex_user1234

Resigned
I don't get really get this. Of course bad things that happened under the trust's watch are the responsibility of the trust... while everything should be judged in its proper context.

If you want an example of trust mismanagement, go for the time they converted the loan to the club into a gift without consulting the membership.

I'm not on here giving the trust undiluted praise, shutting down "debate" (about what?), or anything else...

I'm asking what your plan is? Lots of people think we should discuss alternative plans... nothings been put forward. Fair enough if you don't have an alternative... I don't either. Just don't pretend to be being silenced, when you've just got nothing to say.

As you apparently stood for election, I assume you're not just a troll, but you certainly give a good impression of one... going round in circles, never actually offering anything, collecting people who are irritated into responses as if you're hunting for game. Leave it out, mate. We're all bored and frustrated with the lockdown. If you want to have a proper conversation, then I'm happy to hear about any ideas, even if not fully formulated... If you want to go on the merry-go-round of pretending everyone's in a cult, you're being silenced, etc.... come on... grow up a bit.
The title of this thread is "Is it time for serious changes at the Club?" Most people on here are having a healthy debate about that topic. I do not include you in that. You and a few others have attacked me personally calling me a liar, a charlatan and so on. It's ugly to watch. I have responded to each of you as I do not like to see wolf packs win, but that's just my personal taste.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
So what was the real reason behind his departure?
I don't know. I remember there being a big hoo-ha and some metaphorical blood on the carpet. From memory there was an issue about whether he had lied / misrepresented a situation, perhaps to do with finance and whether he personally benefited. There was then a lot of finger pointing and he went, angrily and feeling that all his work was unappreciated.

However my memory, as the Oxford game thread shows, isn't all that though so I may be way off-beam!

Those with much better knowledge of the internal politics of the club and Trust, and better memories will I'm sure be able to answer more fully.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is it time to ditch being satisfied with mediocrity?

- Erm... Sure, OK.

Are you fed up with being told we can only be a league 2 also ran?

- Yeah.

Is it time for a change?

- Yeahhh!! Hell yeaghh!!!

So let's do a big change??!!

- Definitely!!! So, umm... Whats the plan? What's the new idea?

Sorry, I'm a bit pushed for time and anyway, I never said I was an expert and... Whats your big idea, if you've got one, smartypants?! No thought not. You're just shutting down debate. Cynical, wolf pack with all the others.