• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hopes and Expectations for the coming season

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, that graph perhaps explodes the myth that we had an ultra-defensive manager replaced by a more attacking manager.

huxwar

Interesting to see Lincoln won the league with almost identical shots per 90 as us

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just more accurate

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hmmm, that graph perhaps explodes the myth that we had an ultra-defensive manager replaced by a more attacking manager.
It is of course not just shots that were down on the previous season but also points (down 10) league position (down 5 places) and goals scored (down 4). But attendances up. And spirits. And unity. One of the rare occasions when fans happiness is not directly correlated to success on the pitch.

ryancooper327

Question - and bare with me:

Picture a bottom half finish in 19/20 but we see a strong influx of our youth players followed by a mid table finish in 20/21 with youth firmly established in the squad before a promotion with 5/6 of the current youth crop playing as starters in 21/22 that stay with us and we build on.

Would you accept a lower finish two seasons running in order to see better finishing places in the future?

i8cornwall

Question - and bare with me:

Picture a bottom half finish in 19/20 but we see a strong influx of our youth players followed by a mid table finish in 20/21 with youth firmly established in the squad before a promotion with 5/6 of the current youth crop playing as starters in 21/22 that stay with us and we build on.

Would you accept a lower finish two seasons running in order to see better finishing places in the future?
I know this is 100% hypothetical but would the younger players be in danger of being sold in your theory?

It's an interesting question tho.

If I knew we were actually heading towards promotion then I would take the short term pain for the reward but sadly the club isn't doing that, it's in a constant state of rebuilding on the playing side of things and the excuse of we are little old exeter we can't compete with XYZ are used far to frequently for my liking. I'd happily keep renewing my ST and everything else if I knew the club was trying to gain promotion in the medium term but I don't think it is.

rifraf

Hopes: Promotion

Expectations: Unless we seriously sort out strengthening midfield and magically finding a goal scoring gem from somewhere - a relegation battle with current team.

P.S. This is not a whoooosh.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Playoffs for me.The difference between teams achieving this and mid table in this usually mostly poor division is a decent mid twenties ( goals not age , I’d take another over thirty like J C. though ) , goal scorer. Given a reasonably sound defence of course , which Matt seems to be trying to build It’s not rocket science , Stockley might well have got us playoffs /promotion last season. We haven’t found him yet although Bowman seems to be shaping up quite well.Maybe Matt will make the big splash and surprise us all.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Expectations: Unless we seriously sort out strengthening midfield
Our midfield options are pretty decent for a league 2 side.

Temporarily Exiled

Our midfield options are pretty decent for a league 2 side.
Exactly, if anything we're very flush in midfield. Law has to be one of the best midfielders in the division, Lee Martin had settled by the end, Williams looks a real handful, Atangana is well-liked by supporters of sides he's played for, Collins is only getting better, apparently Sparkes was fantastic yesterday, Jake Taylor is very consistent (but I hope he can find his shooting boots this season), Holmes still does a job on a good pitch, and Tillson is as good a dedicated defensive midfielder as most clubs at this level have.

If I was going to complain it would be about our fullbacks or our front line, definitely not our midfield.