• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hopes and Expectations for the coming season

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hopes. Promotion.

Expectations. We'll be close but not close enough.

i8cornwall

You are going to get slated for this because it shows no understanding of the wider context the club are operating in. Unless we get a sudden windfall from Watkins or Storey we simply cannot compete financially with the clubs around us. Even if we decide to abandon our sensible plans to be sustainable in the long-term and put every spare pound we have into the playing budget for next season it's unlikely to be enough to make a difference. What then? I'm pretty sure we don't even have an overdraft facility if we wanted to copy other clubs and gamble on getting into debt to try and gain promotion. And if we decide to sell the club to a rich businessman it's unlikely to happen in time for us to have the funds to buy our way to promotion next season.

And I imagine I'm going to get slated for this but I actually think the community feel good PR ******** is more important than what happens on the pitch. Exeter is apparently the fittest place in the country, in part due to the efforts of the football club and its partnership with the Community Trust.
https://www.heart.co.uk/lifestyle/most-unfit-town-uk/
Ah see someone who wants to follow community project and not a football club. Have a great time with that.

I'm very aware the context the club operates in ad mentioned a few times before I do interact with the club beacuse of my role in the RL.

To be honest going to SJP last season wasn't fun after christmas, I only went beacuse I'd paid for it and to have a beer and a laugh with my mates.

But you have hit the nail on the head the community projects and continous talk of progress off the pitch is more important to a large amount of our supporters then what happens on it, where as I actually couldn't care less any more. First and foremost i pay my money to watch football and like every other fan up and down the country want to see a successful and winning team.

Thank you for the info on the fitness of the people of Exeter, it'll really help spur me on for that 14 miles run in a few weeks for AS9.

i8cornwall

Not slated : you're entitled to your opinion. But I'm surprised you only give Matt Taylor 2 years to get promoted when Tisdale couldn't achieve it after 8:years the second time around. Yes, we have a bit more money in the kitty, but it's split 3 ways over 3 years. That means only 1/9 goes to the manager for player costs above the standard budge per season.
We all want promotion but I think last year we overschieved considering all the changes : my hope this year we can get to the playoffs.
Appolgies I didn't make that clear I think matt is going to be a great manager and one who's ambitions won't be realised at City. I'd probably feel the same who ever we had in charge. It's the culture of being successful on the pitch doesn't matter and the constant excuses of why with no plan to change it that I'm sick of to be honest.

Max Payne 2

Hopes? Stop the rot. We're on a downward trajectory these last few seasons. Make the top 7.

Expectations? 14th or worse.

Dannyred

Id imagine im going to get slated for this but oh well.

Anything but promotion this season would be seen as failer in my mind and I can't see me renewing my ST in 12 months time if we are still in league 2.

Heart says we will go up but head says it'll be another "transition" season (like the last 4 or 5) with inconsistant football and more community feel good PR ******** to paper over the cracks.

On the Red Legion front more of the same with a few more displays for this coming season chucked in for good measure.
You will be saying the same thing in 40 years time and then young fans will be attacking you for being negative as you will be told that we are a league 2 club selling the odd youth player and doing well for a club our size. As a kid I dreamed of city playing in the top division. It won’t happen with the we are a small club attitude we have.

Not much has changed on the pitch in my time.

Jammers20

Hopes would be Automatics.

Expectations somewhere between the play-offs and mid table. Don't think we have to worry about going any lower than that to be honest..

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not expecting much this season, so hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I think a lot will depend on whether the younger guys who emerged last season or are knocking on the door come good. I think Pym will be a big loss, but looking forward to being proved wrong, although I doubt I will be. He is a lot better than some give him credit for, especially at this level

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hopes
That Matt can execute his running football philosophy better now having had the time to create more focus and fitness.

Expectations
Hard to say as we are still in some flux until we complete our signings.
But I'm getting used to us still being in the hunt for something in the few games of the season so I'd expect the same.
The new handball rule being used against us by some of the usual suspects trying ball to hand as a tactic.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Hopes? Stop the rot. We're on a downward trajectory these last few seasons. Make the top 7.

Expectations? 14th or worse.
Er, one season. The previous seasons we improved our position two straight seasons (14th to 5th to 4th).

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hope to win the league. What’s the point otherwise?

Expectation is harder to gauge as I need to see what our final squad looks like first. If we recruit well then I expect us to be in the play offs but if the new players are on the ‘meh’ side then I expect we will be mid table.