• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hopes and Expectations for the coming season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Still on vBulletin?
That'll be for the developers to advise.

Temporarily Exiled

That'll be for the developers to advise.
Cool, just hoping for something that works on mobile!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Cool, just hoping for something that works on mobile!
That'll be marked as an essential requirement.

i8cornwall

Id imagine im going to get slated for this but oh well.

Anything but promotion this season would be seen as failer in my mind and I can't see me renewing my ST in 12 months time if we are still in league 2.

Heart says we will go up but head says it'll be another "transition" season (like the last 4 or 5) with inconsistant football and more community feel good PR ******** to paper over the cracks.

On the Red Legion front more of the same with a few more displays for this coming season chucked in for good measure.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Anything but promotion this season would be seen as failer in my mind and I can't see me renewing my ST in 12 months time if we are still in league 2.

Heart says we will go up but head says it'll be another "transition" season (like the last 4 or 5) with inconsistant football and more community feel good PR ******** to paper over the cracks.
You are going to get slated for this because it shows no understanding of the wider context the club are operating in. Unless we get a sudden windfall from Watkins or Storey we simply cannot compete financially with the clubs around us. Even if we decide to abandon our sensible plans to be sustainable in the long-term and put every spare pound we have into the playing budget for next season it's unlikely to be enough to make a difference. What then? I'm pretty sure we don't even have an overdraft facility if we wanted to copy other clubs and gamble on getting into debt to try and gain promotion. And if we decide to sell the club to a rich businessman it's unlikely to happen in time for us to have the funds to buy our way to promotion next season.

And I imagine I'm going to get slated for this but I actually think the community feel good PR ******** is more important than what happens on the pitch. Exeter is apparently the fittest place in the country, in part due to the efforts of the football club and its partnership with the Community Trust.
https://www.heart.co.uk/lifestyle/most-unfit-town-uk/

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster

On the Red Legion front more of the same with a few more displays for this coming season chucked in for good measure.
Not slated : you're entitled to your opinion. But I'm surprised you only give Matt Taylor 2 years to get promoted when Tisdale couldn't achieve it after 8:years the second time around. Yes, we have a bit more money in the kitty, but it's split 3 ways over 3 years. That means only 1/9 goes to the manager for player costs above the standard budge per season.
We all want promotion but I think last year we overschieved considering all the changes : my hope this year we can get to the playoffs.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Oh well, at the end of the season and you don't want to renew I suppose you could always revert to being a Bolton fan, if they even still exist that is ! ;)

Dannyred

Oh well, at the end of the season and you don't want to renew I suppose you could always revert to being a Bolton fan, if they even still exist that is ! ;)
What a childish reply but i suppose expected.

I like MT but think mid table this season will be where we will finnish at best.

Losing stockley cost us the play off position but we have to find another stockley,pym,boetang,brown,wilson to have a chance of reaching the play offs, Which is a very tough ask.

Banksy

Find another Jamie Cureton or Alan Banks ( or dare I say James Norwood ) and I reckon we’ll make it.
Matt is clever enough to do it , just needs the bleeding obvious , a few more goals , another ten would have done it this past season spread over key games.
Get the scouts out Matt!

Last edited:

Red Devon

Hopes - A top three position and automatic promotion.

Expectations - Not really sure what to expect next season as despite what’s looking like we’re going to have a really strong midfield for me there are big questions marks over our attacking options or lack of them Bowman finished the season very, very well but we’ll need two more strikers capable of making the same sort of impact no room for weak loan players and passengers.
Defensively I am also not entirely happy with our options at RB & LB in a perfect world these positions would be strengthened but I doubt the budget is there to do it.

I think MT is on the right track with his recruitment so far as Parkes and Atangana are proven at this level and should help strengthen us...hopefully there’ll be a few more signings to come with the obvious goalkeeper and goal scoring striker at the top of the list fingers crossed.

Ultimately maintaining our league status is the first priority and most important thing as this must never be taken as a given...as the likes of Notts County, Chesterfield and Yeovil have found out in the last few years.

Last edited: