• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gillingham vs City FA Cup 2nd Rd MDT

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
#stillfuming
Were you around in 81 fred? If so, which did you prefer That run or United/Liverpool? Or if not, what would you prefer?

IndoMike

That's right. Matt didn't get to spend any Watkins money so to compensate there's no pressure to sell anyone.
We're under no pressure to sell but remember we won't stand in a player's way.

IndoMike

#stillfuming
If only Ryan Bowman could have played instead of Clint...sigh...☹

tonykellowfan

If we play a top club with the current fixture issues you can be 100% sure they will put out a reserves team so I would be just as happy to play someone like Liverpool as we would have a chance. Someone lower down will actually be worse as they will take it seriously. A team like Newcastle would play most of their first team.

fred binneys head

Were you around in 81 fred? If so, which did you prefer That run or United/Liverpool? Or if not, what would you prefer?
I wasn’t I’m afraid, starting supporting city in 1983 aged 10.

Alistair20000

If we got Villa would Ollie play ? :unsure:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
6 minute long highlights on YouTube

arthur

The Watkins transfer worked out well for us
Max's point is that it worked out well for him as well. Look at the misery Grimes and Friend had to endure at Leeds and Millwall before they established themselves at a level their talents merited

Red Bill

I didn't say anything about playing away at Havant and Waterlooville (or any other non league team for that matter), I said home. All three of your examples happened away. It's very rare that we get done at home by a non league side.
I don't know if you're old enough to remember 80/81 but if you're not believe me, it smashes United, Liverpool and all the other Premier League ties we've had in either the FA or League Cup of the planet. I'd sooner try and relive those glories again than be like some on here and live with the pent up anguish of going to Anfield and not having a proper go after our heroics in the first match or get done by West Brom because we didn't step and showed them far too much respect. Like I said, nobody remembers anybody who got knocked out in the third round. Start progressing, people sit up and take notice.
I didn't mention home or away, I was just pointing out that these ties are a win win for the lower placed side and certainly not a guaranteed win for us as we've lost to several lower placed sides in the past. Last year we could easily have lost the home tie against hartlepool, it certainly wasn't a game i wanted others to have seen as it was hardly a good advert for us. This year with no fans, home advantage is practically non existent, so I wouldnt be too excited by a home tie. IMO the kudos of a 0-0 draw at Old Trafford does more for the club than the prize money for getting to the 4th round.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
6 minute long highlights on YouTube

If Bonham had scored in the last second it would have gone down like a lead zeppelin.