• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gillingham vs City FA Cup 2nd Rd MDT

robchave

I remember being at White Hart Lane in '81 ... Round 6 would be good again!!
We were going great guns until they deliberately knobbled, was it Rogers, on the wing?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
We were going great guns until they deliberately knobbled, was it Rogers, on the wing?
Ian Pearson was knobbled.He was pulling the strings in midfield

Oldsmobile-88

Would class a visit to the Fifth Round as a proper cup run.
Round 4 for me 😁...Only seen that once in my years,like you 😎

I can feel a reminisce on the classic matches thread coming up about the trip & day to Leicester.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Anyways, today's match! :)

Not sure if I'll be watching yet. Would be great to get a a result today. Winners of this tie will be ball 69 in the draw for the next round.

Jason's preview

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
The fa website says it’s £34k prize money for second round winners which would be very helpful for the club, does anyone know if part of that is going to each losing team like in the first round?

consider 3rd round a decent cup run, but would really love to see 4th round or further as was only 8 in 1981. Still a tinge of disappointment that we were so close to Liverpool home in 1990( plus not far off a league cup quarter final v Coventry same season) If we can get through and hopefully get a home draw so that 2000 can watch, or if Devon got put into tier 1 by then maybe even a little more. Wouldn’t be as much as 4000 but any extra would be great. After missing out in first two rounds , tv money would be great although this season don’t mind so much if we don’t draw a big gun.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

The fa website says it’s £34k prize money for second round winners which would be very helpful for the club, does anyone know if part of that is going to each losing team like in the first round?
Around £8,500 to the losing team out of the £34k I have seen reported.

Red red

Ian Pearson was knobbled.He was pulling the strings in midfield
Ian Pearson kicked in the head by Tony Galvin. Ref didn’t even give us a free kick. That unleashed Hoddle the rest is history.i can see it all now never to be forgotten

denzel

One of only four ties not benefitting from TV money, and the only one involving different divisions. I guess that means that BBC/BT wouldn't consider it to be an upset if we win.
I know we wont play the side we have for league games, but the 'reserves' aren't bad and I am feeling optimistic and want us to win this badly.
COYR

tonykellowfan

I hope we don't get too many changes. I don't a Liverpool replay situation all over again.

iscalad

I've copied this from the Senior Reds page as Neil doesn't like Exeweb...still

"
Someone really doesn't like us or perhaps Gillingham!
There are twenty second round ties, sixteen are being broadcast on TV or Digital Platforms so will receive extra money.
We are one of only four that are not being broadcast which means not only are we not getting extra money but many supporters are having to pay to watch the game whereas it would have been free if you already had access to the platform that the others are being shown on.
Of course, having said that, we are at least luckier than our overseas supporters as they won’t be able to watch it at all as the iFollow broadcast is not available overseas and with the FA Cup Broadcasting rights sold to overseas broadcasters it is up to them which, if any, games they show and its highly unlikely that many of these second round fixtures will be seen as worth showing, especially as they are up against Championship and Premier League games at the same time.
I’m raising this last issue with the FA as it seems ridiculous to have a Broadcasting deal in place which actually achieves the opposite ie means supporters can’t watch games.