• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

StudentGrecian

Anyone got a source for this? Would be good to get to the bottom of it. Things are either one way or they're another way. Can we just be told definitively or does commercial sensitivity mean we have to be told two completely different things to keep the competitors guessing?

It's from this interview. Apologies don't have time to find the timestamp.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Should be able to sign a mid table league 2 striker then, eh?
Unfortunately Offrande Zanzala is out injured...

paperclip

How do you know we haven't? Perhaps he's had more than adequate funds but just doesn't have a clue how to spend it properly. We've been told by Hawker that our budget isn't a bottom four budget so if used properly there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to sustain L1 football. So perhaps the biggest problem is finding a decent manager rather than the charlatan we have at present.
This. Absolutely this.

Do we need four goalkeepers? No. Six wide players? No. There is a world of difference between not having a competitive budget and not using your budget effectively. Quality, not quantity, is important.

Grecian Max

No gotcha I’m afraid. 😄
I meant "I get you"

Do you perceive every message as a threat? ⚠

Grecian Max

No gotcha I’m afraid. 😄
You see I don’t agree that with our ownership model 5-6K or even 7K is enough for sustaining LG1 football. We can only spend what we earn, unlike most other clubs who can spend what their owner(s) are willing to put in on top of any earned income.
Our way means the risk of going bust is reduced but it also means our potential to finish higher up the leagues is also reduced.
On Caldwell I’m all over the place to be honest, after supporting him initially after Bolton I wanted him gone, but the more I think about it the more I feel the Caldwell situation is secondary to more fundamental problems.
This is slightly odd as I feel like we are more on the same track than you realise

I agree that we need additional funding - in my mind we are handicapping ourselves from the start. Would absolutely love to see an evolution on the model and some clear aims for that from The Trust. Seems business as usual, I want to see some ambition beyond the small wins.

Grecian Max

To be honest all the greatest City managers in my lifetime have struggled to keep Exeter City in the 3rd tier once we've got there!!

Brian Godfrey struggled in 82/3 , even Terry Cooper's team after smashing the old 4th Division were very inconsistent in the 3rd tier , Alan Ball followed the same trend and when he left Exeter City were near the bottom of the league despite signing a host of expensive players.

Paul Tisdale equalled our highest ever position in league 1 and again the club could not sustain this and were relegated.

The reality is we are mid table League 2 club.
You've just done exactly what I said people do and reference eras 40+ years ago 😂

As I keep repeating, Exeter exists on an upward curve, far beyond other towns and cities which may have traditionally had a strong FL side but are now struggling both within the towns themselves and the football clubs. It's partly why so many of the Northern clubs have fallen on hard times

The mills, mines and factories that developed certain clubs into what they are don't exist now, football is a different landscape to the 20s, 60s, 80s, even 90s

Things change old boy

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

It's from this interview. Apologies don't have time to find the timestamp.
All I can find in there is:
" ... we don't have the smallest budget in the league but we certainly don't have the biggest either"

Around the 11 minute mark.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
" ... we don't have the smallest budget in the league but we've certainly don't have the biggest either"
Yes, was gonna say. Not the smallest, not the biggest, therefore it must be in the middle. I hope this isn't the real source of the lower mid-table budget thing.

Grecian Max

" ... we don't have the smallest budget in the league but we've certainly don't have the biggest either"
It's ambiguous enough that people who absolutely convinced we have the second smallest budget will stick to their guns

If you're human and understand how people communicate it's pretty clear to me we are higher up the budget table than that

Perhaps someone can clarify with him @Scott_Palfrey ? Whilst I have you, you did an excellent job with this interview. I hope Nick and the others aren't afraid to do more, because whilst challenging and difficult they represent to me a real example of improved communication. They all agreed at the hustings this was needed, more please!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've just done exactly what I said people do and reference eras 40+ years ago 😂

As I keep repeating, Exeter exists on an upward curve, far beyond other towns and cities which may have traditionally had a strong FL side but are now struggling both within the towns themselves and the football clubs. It's partly why so many of the Northern clubs have fallen on hard times

The mills, mines and factories that developed certain clubs into what they are don't exist now, football is a different landscape to the 20s, 60s, 80s, even 90s

Things change old boy
It sort of feels like if we cannot sustain a league one side on a consistent basis now, then I don't think we ever will. I still cannot fathom any reason why we cannot be a consistent mid table league one side within our current set up. Accy lasted 5 seasons at league one and have been in the football league for years now, but are a tiny football club, they don't spend on ridiculous levels, things are achievable for us to exist as a consistent league one side, provide we appoint good managers and the club is well managed and forward plans properly and correctly.

Right now we have the wrong manager and jumping around praying for short term solutions with little to no forward planning. As was said on Radio Devon on Saturday and I have said before it feels like our identity has been thrown under the bus to back a poor manager.