• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
... or a City forward heading in a cross from a corner.
Or a City forward...

Grecian Max

So go on then, extend your argument to what you’d do to tap into Exeter being the 10th fastest growing city in the UK.
Forgive me, but you’re coming across as a “something must be done, but I can’t tell you what it is”’ merchant.
To me the answer is blindingly obvious. SJP does not give us the income to become an established LG1 club and sadly never will.
Why are you being so aggressive lol, I agree 100% with what you say on SJP now that the pared down redevelopment has happened.

Not sure what your second sentence is all about, my posts were giving context to how the city is evolving so the idea that we will always be limited to League 2 is dated and parochial.

tavyred

Why are you being so aggressive lol, I agree 100% with what you say on SJP now that the pared down redevelopment has happened.

Not sure what your second sentence is all about, my posts were giving context to how the city is evolving so the idea that we will always be limited to League 1 is dated and parochial.
You wrote that giving managers time (and them failing to keep us up I assume?) would be the club throwing away the opportunity to grow the club, I was just interested in what growth opportunity we would miss out on, seeing as we both agree that SJP is the barrier to growth.
Forgive me again, but I feel your complaint against the club at the moment is a tad unfocused.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Signing strikers is a complete lottery. Stockley, Nombe and Brown doing nothing for any other of their Clubs.

Likewise when Curo left us for Leyton Orient he seemed to lose his goal scoring touch and then recovered it as soon as he came back to us

Even the likes of Kells and Banksy did not have great success at any other Clubs.

Bowman was not a known goal scorer and didn’t impress when he first arrived but then started to find the net and if memory serves me correctly scored three consecutive hat tricks.

Grecian Max

You wrote that giving managers time (and them failing to keep us up I assume?) would be the club throwing away the opportunity to grow the club, I was just interested in what growth opportunity we would miss out on, seeing as we both agree that SJP is the barrier to growth.
Forgive me again, but I feel your complaint against the club at the moment is a tad unfocused.
Ah gotcha - IMO the growth opportunity is creating a foundation whereby our base attendances is the in the 5-6k category and work from there

This will only happen in League 1 and perceived forward momentum, even if that isn't necessarily literal

Staying in this division for a elongated period of time gives us a chance to solidify what our base is as a club - just look at Northampton and how they've spent more years in L1 in the past 20-30 years than us and when they drop down often don't take long to get out again

We need to stay up this year, I see it as pretty vital

Gary Caldwell is taking us down, excuses or otherwise

My main complaint is we have had the chance to replace an ailing manager - likely to be beaten 3 or 4 times in a row over the next few games - but haven't. It would have been a fair thing to do, it wouldn't have been reactionary.

We trundle along, but the wheels are broken

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
if memory serves me correctly scored three consecutive hat tricks.
Don't remember this!

tavyred

Ah gotcha - IMO the growth opportunity is creating a foundation whereby our base attendances is the in the 5-6k category and work from there

This will only happen in League 1 and perceived forward momentum, even if that isn't necessarily literal

Staying in this division for a elongated period of time gives us a chance to solidify what our base is as a club - just look at Northampton and how they've spent more years in L1 in the past 20-30 years than us and when they drop down often don't take long to get out again

We need to stay up this year, I see it as pretty vital

Gary Caldwell is taking us down, excuses or otherwise

My main complaint is we have had the chance to replace an ailing manager - likely to be beaten 3 or 4 times in a row over the next few games - but haven't. It would have been a fair thing to do, it wouldn't have been reactionary.

We trundle along, but the wheels are broken
No gotcha I’m afraid. 😄
You see I don’t agree that with our ownership model 5-6K or even 7K is enough for sustaining LG1 football. We can only spend what we earn, unlike most other clubs who can spend what their owner(s) are willing to put in on top of any earned income.
Our way means the risk of going bust is reduced but it also means our potential to finish higher up the leagues is also reduced.
On Caldwell I’m all over the place to be honest, after supporting him initially after Bolton I wanted him gone, but the more I think about it the more I feel the Caldwell situation is secondary to more fundamental problems.

Antony Moxey

I feel the Caldwell situation is secondary to more fundamental problems.
What problems do you consider to be more important than Caldwell?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
No gotcha I’m afraid. 😄
You see I don’t agree that with our ownership model 5-6K or even 7K is enough for sustaining LG1 football. We can only spend what we earn, unlike most other clubs who can spend what their owner(s) are willing to put in on top of any earned income.
Our way means the risk of going bust is reduced but it also means our potential to finish higher up the leagues is also reduced.
On Caldwell I’m all over the place to be honest, after supporting him initially after Bolton I wanted him gone, but the more I think about it the more I feel the Caldwell situation is secondary to more fundamental problems.
I agree with you with regards to the ownership model and to be honest it's something I felt even before our disastrous form. Even the smallest clubs in League 1 have someone to write off any losses after they've spent their income, we don't have that luxury and I too struggle to see how we can sustain ourselves at this level as we are.

With regards to Caldwell, I can see why people would be inclined to cut him some slack due to budget constraints, however for me the style of football and the absolutely mind numbing boredom he subjects us to every week has nothing to do with the ownership model.

Antony Moxey

With the exception of the west stand, they could build an exact replica of each stand behind where each stand currently is without any major infrastructure works. They could put Anfield in that footprint and still have bucketloads of space available.