• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thing that gets me is this is always flowered up with vague language about "models" and investment, when what is meant is to find someone to give us free money and keep pumping it in at a loss.
You get that our model is as rare as rocking horse sh1t and other clubs with mixed results rely on that someone willing to give away their money?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You get that our model is as rare as rocking horse sh1t and other clubs with mixed results rely on that someone willing to give away their money?
Yes, that's my point. It's just fancied up isn't it. This model, that model. It's just finding someone rich and stupid enough, but smart enough to not sink the club despite the money,a la Vince.

paperclip

I think a realistic objective is a top half league one club. Historically we may be lower but the football demography has shifted- look at Bournemouth and Brentford in the Premier League.
We spent ten seasons getting here, we do not want to give it up lightly.
There are some truly rubbish teams in our league this year, and it really shouldn't be asking too much to finish above at least four of Burton, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham, Fleetwood, Cambridge, Port Vale and Carlisle. Not all of those sides have budgets that are demonstrably larger than our "unprecedented" figure, they just appear to be spending their money more wisely. It's pointless (literally) having goalkeepers and wingers coming out of your ears if you don't have any actual strikers on your books (no disrespect to Sonny Cox, who is doing an admirable job IMO given his young age).

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest all the greatest City managers in my lifetime have struggled to keep Exeter City in the 3rd tier once we've got there!!

Brian Godfrey struggled in 82/3 , even Terry Cooper's team after smashing the old 4th Division were very inconsistent in the 3rd tier , Alan Ball followed the same trend and when he left Exeter City were near the bottom of the league despite signing a host of expensive players.

Paul Tisdale equalled our highest ever position in league 1 and again the club could not sustain this and were relegated.

The reality is we are mid table League 2 club.
One of the reasons why I'm glad I'm not renewing. I won't have to share a stadium with the likes of you.

Exehausted

Yes, that's my point. It's just fancied up isn't it. This model, that model. It's just finding someone rich and stupid enough, but smart enough to not sink the club despite the money,a la Vince.
But even with all the money he's pumped in and numerous changes of managers, they are struggling to maintain tier four football.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
But even with all the money he's pumped in and numerous changes of managers, they are struggling to maintain tier four football.
Yes, that's my point. The stupidity outweighs the finances. Even Salford, who have "football people" running the show.

Radio Free Skaro

One of the reasons why I'm glad I'm not renewing. I won't have to share a stadium with the likes of you.
Ha! I don't know if it's my medication but I genuinely find this post hilarious!

Banksy

Should be able to sign a mid table league 2 striker then, eh?
Touché….

Banksy

Colesman Ballz

Bowman was not a known goal scorer and didn’t impress when he first arrived but then started to find the net and if memory serves me correctly scored three consecutive hat tricks.
Sadly I feel that my advancing years are affecting my memory somewhat. I am unable to recall Bowman scoring one hat trick, never mind three in successive matches. Surely if the latter we would have sold him for millions to the Premier$hite and been able to invest the money in a grandiose rebuild of SJP doubling the capacity at a stroke ? :cool: