• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It sort of feels like if we cannot sustain a league one side on a consistent basis now, then I don't think we ever will. I still cannot fathom any reason why we cannot be a consistent mid table league one side within our current set up. Accy lasted 5 seasons at league one and have been in the football league for years now, but are a tiny football club, they don't spend on ridiculous levels, things are achievable for us to exist as a consistent league one side, provide we appoint good managers and the club is well managed and forward plans properly and correctly.

Right now we have the wrong manager and jumping around praying for short term solutions with little to no forward planning. As was said on Radio Devon on Saturday and I have said before it feels like our identity has been thrown under the bus to back a poor manager.
At some point, the injection of money elsewhere will come - we won't go another 20 years in this form - IMO.

Would much rather it be on our terms and whilst in a good position than during a dip and another PFA loan....

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's ambiguous enough that people who absolutely convinced we have the second smallest budget will stick to their guns

If you're human and understand how people communicate it's pretty clear to me we are higher up the budget table than that

Perhaps someone can clarify with him @Scott_Palfrey ? Whilst I have you, you did an excellent job with this interview. I hope Nick and the others aren't afraid to do more, because whilst challenging and difficult they represent to me a real example of improved communication. They all agreed at the hustings this was needed, more please!
It was Tagg who said we were second smallest. People were saying that either he or Hawker were lying. But I think this debate predates this output from Hawker, so he must've said it elsewhere. But if no-one can name the time or place or medium, maybe it's a phantom.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
At some point, the injection of money elsewhere will come - we won't go another 20 years in this form - IMO.

Would much rather it be on our terms and whilst in a good position than during a dip and another PFA loan....
I have said elsewhere, that maybe trying to find a hybrid model is the way forward for us as a club? Maybe similar to the german 50+1 rule. But again it is finding someone whom is happy to invest on that basis. WE should never rule out returning to Private ownership, but also shouldn't jump back into it lightly, we would also have to be realistic about what we would want to achieve from private money.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you're human and understand how people communicate it's pretty clear to me we are higher up the budget table than that
If you're human and understand how politicians talk and recognise the nature of his role and purpose of his commutation, then it'll be pretty clear it's deliberately ambiguous and can mean second highest, second bottom or anything in between. It's not a sloppy way of saying mid-table. I hope there's another source.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have said elsewhere, that maybe trying to find a hybrid model is the way forward for us as a club? Maybe similar to the german 50+1 rule. But again it is finding someone whom is happy to invest on that basis. WE should never rule out returning to Private ownership, but also shouldn't jump back into it lightly, we would also have to be realistic about what we would want to achieve from private money.
The give us loads of money, but we'll keep the toy model.

I agree with most of what you say, but this is a scam only missing a mug.

StudentGrecian

Last season at the meeting held to present the launch of the new way of reporting the clubs accounts Nick Hawker said City had a lower mid table players wages budget. He said the clubs at the top were spending massively above the rest of the division but City were part of a group in the lower middle spending roughly the same.
Quick search of Exewebs suggests it actually seems like it was actually from a meeting, not sure if there is any evidence online.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you're human and understand how politicians talk and recognise the nature of his role and purpose of his commutation, then it'll be pretty clear it's deliberately ambiguous and can mean second highest, second bottom or anything in between. It's not a sloppy way of saying mid-table. I hope there's another source.
Much better just to ask them up front, Taggy comes out with a lot bo!!ocks, despite me thinking he's done a good job generally

Personally don't think Hawker comes across like a politician tbh

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The give us loads of money, but we'll keep the toy model.
Not always lots of money, but maybe a sustainable income stream of additional money so the club can invest in facilities, additional playing squad budget etc. But again this is far fetched. I personally wouldn't give up the model lightly, but we all recognise that the model can always be modified and improved.

Red Monster

I see striker Andrew Dallas (Scottish) has been recalled from
his loan at Kilmarnock by Barnsley!!

DawlishBouy

Last season at the launch of the club’s new annual supporter report Hawker said City had a lower mid table budget. Video is on youtube.
On the MNFC podcast Tagg said the club has a bottom two budget.
In his last interview Hawker said City "didn’t have the smallest budget or the biggest budget". in theory that means anywhere from 2nd to 23rd but common sense suggest that phrase means somewhere near the middle.