• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Err, Sinisalo, Trevitt and Rankine are all decent, right?
Yes, and he's also made permanent signings of Carroll and Mitchell who are both quality. However, permanent and loan signings of White, Scott, Muskwe, Jules, Woods all haven't been good enough. To be fair under KMT there were just as many failed signings as there were good. The problem currently is there's no balance to the team. It's all very well getting a Joe White or a Caleb Watts in to compliment an already experienced and established squad, but when you fill a team of them it doesn't work.

I think the warning signs were there last season when we lost 6 on the bounce, but this was masked by the fact we were already safe, and finished the season with a 3-2 win against Morecambe so it went somewhat overlooked.

We've lost Stanno, Nombe, Collins, Key, Sparkes, and Brown, and replaced with Scott, Muskwe, Harper, Trevitt, Jules and Wildschut. Trevitt is a great player but the other 5 don't touch the level of those other players that have moved on.

Boyo

Yes, and he's also made permanent signings of Carroll and Mitchell who are both quality. However, permanent and loan signings of White, Scott, Muskwe, Jules, Woods all haven't been good enough. To be fair under KMT there were just as many failed signings as there were good. The problem currently is there's no balance to the team. It's all very well getting a Joe White or a Caleb Watts in to compliment an already experienced and established squad, but when you fill a team of them it doesn't work.

I think the warning signs were there last season when we lost 6 on the bounce, but this was masked by the fact we were already safe, and finished the season with a 3-2 win against Morecambe so it went somewhat overlooked.

We've lost Stanno, Nombe, Collins, Key, Sparkes, and Brown, and replaced with Scott, Muskwe, Harper, Trevitt, Jules and Wildschut. Trevitt is a great player but the other 5 don't touch the level of those other players that have moved on.
I think every manager signs a few duds along the way. Indeed, look who Matt Taylor signed for us in 19/20. How many of those were successful? Any of them?

1 July 2019DMFranceNigel AtanganaCheltenham TownFree transfer[47]
1 July 2019CFEnglandAlex FisherYeovil TownFree transfer[48]
1 July 2019GKEnglandJohnny MaxtedAccrington StanleyFree transfer[49]
1 July 2019CBEnglandTom ParkesCarlisle UnitedFree transfer[50]
1 July 2019GKEnglandLewis WardReadingFree transfer[51]
1 July 2019CBEnglandGary WarrenYeovil TownFree transfer[52]
3 July 2019CFEnglandNicky AjoseCharlton AthleticFree transfer[53]
9 July 2019DFEnglandNoah SmerdonGloucester CityUndisclosed[54]
11 October 2019GKSouth AfricaDino VisserSouth Africa Cape Umoya UnitedFree transfer[55]
17 January 2020LMEnglandBrennan DickensonMilton Keynes DonsFree transfer[56]
19 February 2020GKNorthern IrelandJared ThompsonFree agentFree transfer[57]

And the loans:

5 July 2019CBEnglandRobbie CundyBristol City3 September 2019[70][71][72]
16 August 2019DFEnglandJayden RichardsonNottingham Forest30 June 2020[73]

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
On the basis that we didn't pick up a free agent we're going to have the difficult task of paying a fee for a striker.

Hopefully we've started that process as far as the rules allow but I don't think we're going to have someone in place for the Reading game

AndyR

He also signed Aimson who is pretty decent although maybe not skipper material and Niskanen who was also looking good before he got injured on international duty. Another of his loan signings was McDonald, also class.

I think overall his signings have been good, the only problem is the strikers innit!

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
He also signed Aimson who is pretty decent although maybe not skipper material and Niskanen who was also looking good before he got injured on international duty. Another of his loan signings was McDonald, also class.

I think overall his signings have been good, the only problem is the strikers innit!
Strikers, tactics and coaching of players... no one who was already here is a better player than before he came in. At least I can't think of any. Kyle Taylor maybe, but not sure he counts. He almost managed to ruin Key by messing about with his role.

AndyR

Strikers, tactics and coaching of players... no one who was already here is a better player than before he came in. At least I can't think of any. Kyle Taylor maybe, but not sure he counts. He almost managed to ruin Key by messing about with his role.
Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Clubs seem quite prepared to send players on loan to us e.g. Rankine and Trevitt plus Stanno seemed to genuinely appreciate GC and what he did for the upward path of his career. Harper looks promising to me and Cole has had the downward trajectory of his career rescued.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hmm, not sure I agree with that. Clubs seem quite prepared to send players on loan to us e.g. Rankine and Trevitt plus Stanno seemed to genuinely appreciate GC and what he did for the upward path of his career. Harper looks promising to me and Cole has had the downward trajectory of his career rescued.
Well, I'd say Harper looks a decent signing. I'm not convinced he's "improved" measurably in the 3 months he's been here. Rankine, Trevitt, Cole... again, decent signings, but have they "improved"? They've been here 5 minutes. Stansfield, yeah, fantastic. He genuinely improved through last season and has gone from not being a guaranteed starter in league one, to doing the business in the championship. I feel like that's despite as much as because of Caldwell, but lets be generous and credit him with it. But what about our younger players? Hartridge, Kite, etc. These players kicking onto the next level is what makes the club tick.

Reactions: Ash

AndyR

Well, I'd say Harper looks a decent signing. I'm not convinced he's "improved" measurably in the 3 months he's been here. Rankine, Trevitt, Cole... again, decent signings, but have they "improved"? They've been here 5 minutes. Stansfield, yeah, fantastic. He genuinely improved through last season and has gone from not being a guaranteed starter in league one, to doing the business in the championship. I feel like that's despite as much as because of Caldwell, but lets be generous and credit him with it. But what about our younger players? Hartridge, Kite, etc. These players kicking onto the next level is what makes the club tick.
Yeah I take the point but we're operating at a higher level where we were probably always bound to struggle. I mean, MT certainly improved some players when here but how many did he improve at Rotherham? Presumably not many. Maybe GC is in a similar position here.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah I take the point but we're operating at a higher level where we were probably always bound to struggle. I mean, MT certainly improved some players when here but how many did he improve at Rotherham? Presumably not many. Maybe GC is in a similar position here.
You've got to take all that into account and build expectations accordingly. Expectations for this season are not to fight for promotion. They're to stay up and build the side a bit. But the last time we scored more than one goal in a league game was the 26th August. The next opportunity will be 25th November, so even if we score two away at Bolton (spoiler: we won't), it'll be pretty close to a full three months. A quarter. In that time, we've picked up 7 points from an available 36. That is not an acceptable return. And if you watch the games, rather than just look at the stats, you'll feel even worse about it. Even taking into account what's reasonable given the limitations and the fact we haven't built a massive stand.

Reactions: Ash

Red Monster

The Real EFL are reporting Cole Stockton could be on his way of
Burton ,Carlisle are interested.
So could we persuade him to relocate to sunny Devon.