• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Portsmouth Matchday Thread (Friday 29th December)

gui

I was shocked at how poor Pompey was , i genuinely thought they would zing it around and open us up at will…..

That said if 1 of those two headers that went wide in the first 10-15 mins had found the target it probably would have been very different game or story.

I think they underestimated City and played in 2nd gear at times.
Pompey were poor because we outplayed them with our new system playing 4 at the back and playing more compact , closing all the gaps .
We played extraordinary last night .
We played like lions .
It’s was a very good defensive performance.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
A decent striker will create their own chances. Plus a decent striker will show anticipation and be in the right spot at the right time. If there’s no-one in the box what’s the point in playing a killer ball that the likes of Nombe and Stockley thrive on? A decent striker will make fellow attackers create chances.
Indeed. When we were top of the league in August we had Nombe up front. He didn't score any goals/

gui

Just back and got to say that those supporters that chose to stay away as part of their Caldwell out protests missed a very good match.

A character full and well disciplined Exeter looked every inch as good as a Portsmouth team that are actually clear at the top of the league, we could indeed have won it but for me a draw was the right result.

We know that we have a very light squad and have few options up front so here's hoping that we can fill those gaps and really start to turn things around.

Hard to see what has changed, Diabates return, Sonny Cox's vast improvement? Cole as captain? Carrolls return to form? the revelation that is Jules? Not sure but I'm certainly seeing light at the end of the tunnel!
We are playing a different system with 4 at the back and a more compact midfield.
That’s what changed .

gui

Notes for the players out of 10 from last night’s game Vs Portsmouth .
It’s my own personal assessment.

Sinisalo 9/10
Aimson 7.5/10
Diabate 8.5/10
Hartridge 7/10
Jules 7/10
Niskanen 9/10
Rankine 7/10
Carroll 7/10
Cole 7.5/10
Aitchison 7.5/10
Cox 7/10

Scott 5/10
Kite 5.5/10
Taylor 5.5/10

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
He could also be going to Rovers. Could depend on the usual things such as money or how well he could work with either MT or GC?
You would have thought that is the more likely scenerio. To be reunited with Matt Taylor and return to a club he played at. Seems realistic that he has been watching our matches to report back to Matt. The only possible return to us is if his wife is from the Exeter area and wants to come home?

JGrecian23

Pompey were poor because we outplayed them with our new system playing 4 at the back and playing more compact , closing all the gaps .
We played extraordinary last night .
We played like lions .
It’s was a very good defensive performance.
I want some of what you are on!

arthur

Diabate was the best player on that pitch tonight by some margin. Almost laughable that he was frozen out and played upfront previously this season. If we loose him in Jan then we have no chance of survival.
Frozen out? I'll ask again - which of Sweeney or Aimson should have been f dropped to let Diabate in from the cold?

JGrecian23

Notes for the players out of 10 from last night’s game Vs Portsmouth .
It’s my own personal assessment.

Sinisalo 9/10
Aimson 7.5/10
Diabate 8.5/10
Hartridge 7/10
Jules 7/10
Niskanen 9/10
Rankine 7/10
Carroll 7/10
Cole 7.5/10
Aitchison 7.5/10
Cox 7/10

Scott 5/10
Kite 5.5/10
Taylor 5.5/10
Haha Niskanen 9/10? 😄 cheers for the review Stevie Wonder

iscalad

I want some of what you are on!
I'm glad I don't watch the same games as you do.;)

gui

Haha Niskanen 9/10? 😄 cheers for the review Stevie Wonder
Niskanen played like a lion and ran all over the pitch closing gaps and space everywhere.
He played FOR OUR TEAM and he was MAGNIFICENT.