• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Portsmouth Matchday Thread (Friday 29th December)

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving Chiek being back. Shame it took so long for GC to work that out that may be worth giving him a chance (in his natural position)
So, if GC had worked out that he should have been given a chance, should he have dropped Aimson or Sweeney?

cannockred

When I read comments like this, I genuinely worry about my memory or eyesight.

It is literally like we were at 2 different games.

People seem to be echoing what you say though, so it must be me.
Yeah, which game were you at?

Bridgy 81

People on here seem to forget that football should be entertaining. Grinding out 0-0 and 1-0 is not entertaining.
Personally speaking, I love seeing us grind out a nil-nil or a one-nil win.
I like clean sheets and I love points.

yticretexe

When I read comments like this, I genuinely worry about my memory or eyesight.

It is literally like we were at 2 different games.

People seem to be echoing what you say though, so it must be me.
I’ll rewatch at some point tomorrow but I can’t remember either side really threatening keepers.

grecIAN Harris

Loving Chiek being back. Shame it took so long for GC to work that out that may be worth giving him a chance (in his natural position)
Some of it has been down to his injuries and some of it has been down to his lack of technical ability. I've said it many times before, if you wanted a head it, tackle it, kick it defender who does that side of the game with absolute dilligence then Chieck was, and still is great but as soon as you started to ask him to do more with the ball then you were asking for trouble. Whilst he still isn't in the realms of making hollywood passes from one side of the pitch to the other he looks a whole lot more comfortable on the ball which it sounded like from one of Caldwell's recent interviews is something they have been working on with Chieck at The Cat and Fiddle.

JGrecian23

Yeah, which game were you at?
I was at a game where neither keeper had to get themselves dirty, there were no periods of sustained pressure and attacks from either side and there was literally zero moments of quality shown.

As I said, we all see it differently.

Rosencrantz

Well we were never going to open up an play expansive against the league leaders even if they are not on form at the moment. Not from where we have come over the last few months. For those interested, we started off as a regular 4-4-2 and ended with a tiring 5-4-1 to see the game out. It was reminiscent of the Barnsley tactics last season but without the quality in the final third. We set up a mid block letting the centre backs have plenty of possession and then squeezing them and forcing them to play long. We didn't allow any space through us or behind us. On the whole we dealt with that threat and cut down crossing opportunities. The back four all put in a solid display even if Alex had borrowed Sweenz's spare toblerone boots.

We worked our way into the game more as the first half went on and started to look more threatening, mainly down the right. Sonny and Jack really put a shift in but would obviously both benefit from a lead the line striker to play off. But they did have some decent link ups. We certainly miss Demi's quality in the final third and tonight, maybe a bit of Yan's direct running and pace.

Second half we started well and actually pushed Portsmouth back at times and had more territory. Illi was unlucky to hit the post, I didn't think he was going to get there. I thought Carroll had a good second half and showed his experience when we needed it and along with Reece nullified their midfield.

The danger point for us was really when Pompey emptied their bench as the comparison between their bench and ours for attacking options was pretty stark. We did have a few hairy moments but rode it out and then saw the game out for the point.

With what we have available and the form we have been in, it was probably as much as we could hope for. We could have nicked it but deserved the point. It's another little step and another point before the big Jan bargain hunt.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Failing to score against little old exeter city,must grate a bit 😀😀😀
It's not just that they didn't score, they barely had a shot on target.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really well earned point. At the start of the game I thought we were paying them too much respect but other than a 10 min spell in the second half we were relatively comfortable.

We've looked miles better with Diabates pace and physicality. Jules was calm and composed and Carroll got better as the game went on.

Rankine infuriating again. Had loads of chances to run at Sparkes but kept cutting inside.

Coles famous set piece delivery is turning into a bit of a myth.
Yes, Dion can be infuriating at times but even just the threat of his speed kept Jack Sparkes pegged back in his own half for almost all the time he was on the pitch.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I was shocked at how poor Pompey was , i genuinely thought they would zing it around and open us up at will…..

That said if 1 of those two headers that went wide in the first 10-15 mins had found the target it probably would have been very different game or story.

I think they underestimated City and played in 2nd gear at times.