• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Official Matchday Thread

paperclip

Tisdale cost us the match by getting the starting lineup and formation spectacularly wrong. Mansfield are a very beatable team who we made look like world beaters in the first half.
Agreed. And frankly you could have said that about the majority of teams we lost at home to last season as well. Tisdales tactics are a complete joke and, once again, he couldn't have looked less interested at times if he tried.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
What did he have to say in his post match interview.

David Treharne

I don't often react immediately to the days game, but the first half was the most abject performance that I've seen from an Exeter City team in a very long time. It was clueless, shapeless with a midfield that melted as soon as Mansfield started attacking. Quite what the rationale behind the starting line up was is difficult to fathom. It was telling that the substitutions were made so quickly in the second half and yet the team still lacked penetration up front, and the endless lateral inter-passing out of defence gave no sense of urgency about pulling back a two goal lead from the away team.
Quite what is,(or isn't) going on in the manager's mind is difficult to fathom, and I really do believe that it time for him to go, or at least to be served notice, even if we're back in the Conference when it comes to fruition.
I really did contemplate not going back into the ground for the second half.

denzil

Ahem, where are the rose tinters ???????

Dean Moxey was sat with Julian Tagg in the Director's area. Deano appeared NOT to bother watching the second half.

Tisdale put out our best X1 (bar Grimesy) today and in the first half the U18's would've been better. W.T.F. do the players do all bloody week ?? HE JUST HAS TO GO !!!

whacker

I don't often react immediately to the days game, but the first half was the most abject performance that I've seen from an Exeter City team in a very long time. It was clueless, shapeless with a midfield that melted as soon as Mansfield started attacking. Quite what the rationale behind the starting line up was is difficult to fathom. It was telling that the substitutions were made so quickly in the second half and yet the team still lacked penetration up front, and the endless lateral inter-passing out of defence gave no sense of urgency about pulling back a two goal lead from the away team.
Quite what is,(or isn't) going on in the manager's mind is difficult to fathom, and I really do believe that it time for him to go, or at least to be served notice, even if we're back in the Conference when it comes to fruition.
I really did contemplate not going back into the ground for the second half.
I went to the game today - the first time in some considerable time. I agree with everything the good Doctor said and can confirm that I will not be going again until such time as the entertainment served up is significantly better and controlled from the dugout by somebody else.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bizarrely their opening goal came against the run of play, but once they scored we simply fell to pieces for the remainder of the half. Mansfield weren't good either, they just hoofed it better than we did. The three new boys stood out in that they were considerably worse than their new team mates - Cummins in particular achieving the remarkable feat of looking even less mobile than Parkin was. Pym was the only player to not warrant a bollocking at half time as but for him we'd surely have been much further behind a the break.

Panic struck with a raft of second half subs with Grimes, Nichols and Keohane replacing a dreadful JMT, Baldwin and Ribero. The 3-4-3 formation remained with Oakley slotting in between Woodman and Bennett at the back, Sercombe, Nicholls, Wheeler and Grimes in the middle and Nichols, Keohane and Cummins not doing anything up front. To be fair it was better, but then it could hardly have been worse. We attacked an awful lot more, but by and large it came to nothing. The only excitement aw when Wheeler and, to a lesser extent, Sercombe went on a charge, but usually with no end result.

The biggest difference was the skill, guile, class and nous of Grimes. His free kick was the only genuine moment of quality from anyone during the game and if he can add goals to his game then surely he's going to earn us more than everyone else in the last ten years put together, he really is that good. The other pleasant surprise was just how good Oakley was in the middle of a back three. Calmness personified he was always available for a pass, always in the right place to snuff out an attack and always ready to play a ball to the midfield instead of over it.

But, as the league table rightly suggests, we're still sh*te, and seemingly unlikely to change from that anytime soon.

Antony Moxey

What did he have to say in his post match interview.
That we were sh*te in the first half and that work was needed to be done to do something about our league position which was a concern for him.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Red Devon

Thank goodness we don't have a team of Scott Bennetts and Liam Sercombes theses two are not worth their place in the team at the moment both ambling around the pitch again today like they're on some kind of warm down
First half was woeful Mansfield should have been 3 up by the break.

It took until just after the hour before City finally got into the game and began to create some half chances, Grimes goal was class Jimmy should have hit the target with a very good chance near the end...on todays showing Ribeiro isn't fit to lace Butterfields boots he was that bad!!....another thoroughly depressing day at the park.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The E&E's audio file of the interview with Tisdale (6 mins 44 secs long).
https://soundcloud.com/simonlarkins17/paul-tisdale-post-mansfield-1