• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Official Matchday Thread

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not surprised Oakley looked better..... Baldwin is poor. A number of fans are taken in by the fact he's vocal but he gets bullied easily by big strikers. He has scored 3 goals I'm 300 appearances. I know he's a centre half but it still tells a story.

I also have to agree with some of the comments about Cummins..... Poor... Very poor.
Brothel and score spring to mind..

paperclip

If he was so disappointed with the first half performance, why was he not telling them so during that first half? It's all well and good making changes at half time but I didn't see him giving any stick during what he admits was an unacceptable performance.
I would love to know the reason for that. In the first half especially it looked like he was queuing for an ice cream for most of the time.

Antony Moxey

Well I'm glad it's a chuffing concern to him. Hopefully, we'll start with some attacking footie next week.

I won't hold my breath.
What do you want? He doesn't criticise a poor performance and everyone's up in arms, so he does criticise a performance and gets a sarky response. Would it have mattered what he said?

Antony Moxey

Was it that much of a surprise? He performed the same role with similar aplomb for 90 minutes against York.
It was to me, I didn't go to the York game.

paperclip

What do you want? He doesn't criticise a poor performance and everyone's up in arms, so he does criticise a performance and gets a sarky response. Would it have mattered what he said?
Frankly no it wouldn't. The team isn't judged by the quality of the managers post match waffling, but only by results ON the pitch.

Antony Moxey

Frankly no it wouldn't. The team isn't judged by the quality of the managers post match waffling, but only by results ON the pitch.
The reply was in response to a question about what he said in his post match interview.

felix

Cards on table; I am a Plymouth fan who lives in Exeter who doesn’t hate City.

I go to matches occasionally (3 or 4 times a season). I enjoy watching a match where I can be completely dispassionate about the result and I quite like the city stand, closeness to the action etc.

Yesterday was my first visit of the season.

First thing that appalled me was £29 to get in!!! Scandalous and I will probably not go again as a result.

I thought the woman at the booking van (who was very pleasant) was embarrassed herself about the cost. Anyway I reluctantly paid and settled into a good viewing seat (WTS stand).

First impressions was how poor the crowd was (£29??). It had the feel of a pre-season friendly.

As most on here have mentioned City’s first half display was dire. I even started to think at one point that maybe Mansfield are a really good side (but they are not). City keeper was excellent at shot stopping but will struggle to command his area due to his stature. I couldn’t quite work out how Tisdale had set the side up to play. I don’t really know the City players but had been impressed with Grimes at Plymouth earlier in the season and was surprised/disappointed he wasn’t playing. Thought the player with the long(ish) blond hair was awful. City’s defence couldn’t cope with the lump of a number 9 and the excellent Bingham.

Looking across at Tisdale he seemed to be offering nothing as his side were being torn apart; seemed totally dis-interested. City fans around me seemed content to blame the first half mauling on the ref (who I agree wasn’t great). They seemed as dispassionate as Tisdale at times. I know if Plymouth had produced such a performance (and I have witnessed many) the fans would have been apoplectic. I’m feeling the City fans are resigned to a sh*t season.

However, big bank booed at half-time and the chap behind commented that if they didn’t like it then they shouldn’t bother to come!! I did comment that the crowd was small enough as it was; he just glared!!

Second half; subs; Grimes hooray!!
Grimes made an immediate impression and City started to show some pace, urgency and desire. Excellent goal from Grimes and City had much more possession BUT Mansfield had clearly decided to “sit” and keep what they had. Despite the pressure from City (and a possible/probable pen..didn’t see it) I think it was quite a comfortable win at the end.

Didn’t understand the early leavers when you are pushing for a point. We get many leaving early at Plymouth but it’s a sod of a ground to get out of, With 2700 at City it took me 1 min to amble out at the end.

Final result, fans didn’t seem to care too much.

I doubt I will go again as £29 is ridiculous and the overall feel of the place ( mostly the atmosphere, Tisdale and the players performance) smacks of almost terminal decline. This was, I believe, summed up by the announcer who said something like “oh well at least we won the second half”.

Good luck for the future, I will now brace myself for some flak!!

Antony Moxey

Doubt you'll get much flak for a post that's pretty much bang on the money.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cards on table; I am a Plymouth fan who lives in Exeter who doesn’t hate City.

I go to matches occasionally (3 or 4 times a season). I enjoy watching a match where I can be completely dispassionate about the result and I quite like the city stand, closeness to the action etc.

Yesterday was my first visit of the season.

First thing that appalled me was £29 to get in!!! Scandalous and I will probably not go again as a result.

I thought the woman at the booking van (who was very pleasant) was embarrassed herself about the cost. Anyway I reluctantly paid and settled into a good viewing seat (WTS stand).

First impressions was how poor the crowd was (£29??). It had the feel of a pre-season friendly.

As most on here have mentioned City’s first half display was dire. I even started to think at one point that maybe Mansfield are a really good side (but they are not). City keeper was excellent at shot stopping but will struggle to command his area due to his stature. I couldn’t quite work out how Tisdale had set the side up to play. I don’t really know the City players but had been impressed with Grimes at Plymouth earlier in the season and was surprised/disappointed he wasn’t playing. Thought the player with the long(ish) blond hair was awful. City’s defence couldn’t cope with the lump of a number 9 and the excellent Bingham.

Looking across at Tisdale he seemed to be offering nothing as his side were being torn apart; seemed totally dis-interested. City fans around me seemed content to blame the first half mauling on the ref (who I agree wasn’t great). They seemed as dispassionate as Tisdale at times. I know if Plymouth had produced such a performance (and I have witnessed many) the fans would have been apoplectic. I’m feeling the City fans are resigned to a sh*t season.

However, big bank booed at half-time and the chap behind commented that if they didn’t like it then they shouldn’t bother to come!! I did comment that the crowd was small enough as it was; he just glared!!

Second half; subs; Grimes hooray!!
Grimes made an immediate impression and City started to show some pace, urgency and desire. Excellent goal from Grimes and City had much more possession BUT Mansfield had clearly decided to “sit” and keep what they had. Despite the pressure from City (and a possible/probable pen..didn’t see it) I think it was quite a comfortable win at the end.

Didn’t understand the early leavers when you are pushing for a point. We get many leaving early at Plymouth but it’s a sod of a ground to get out of, With 2700 at City it took me 1 min to amble out at the end.

Final result, fans didn’t seem to care too much.

I doubt I will go again as £29 is ridiculous and the overall feel of the place ( mostly the atmosphere, Tisdale and the players performance) smacks of almost terminal decline. This was, I believe, summed up by the announcer who said something like “oh well at least we won the second half”.

Good luck for the future, I will now brace myself for some flak!!

Good post, and *gritted teeth* well done on your own positive start to the season.

Too many City fans ignoring the bigger picture, elephant in the room, whatever and content to find positives from an overwhelmingly dire situation. We are Torquay last season (with attendances to boot)

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
At least we won the 2nd half....

Genuine ?