• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Mansfield Town Official Matchday Thread

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Attendance 2771 with 137 away fans, meaning 2634 City fans. 34 more home fans than saw the draw with York City.
And only 600 more than watched the Turks today in the Conference.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
2771?! The club is dying in front of our very own eyes. It is heartbreaking.

hatch4england

Glad I missed it. Tisdale, Tagg, Perryman and the whole usless brunch on the board must go.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that was dire. Has to be the worst first half performance for years. We made it way too easy for a very average Mansfield team. The gulf between the defence and midfield was huge and it was hoof after hoof forward to a completely isolated cummins.

2nd half much better. Grimes looked great and his goal was superb. Keohane missed the chance of the game at the death by sky in it into Stoke hill. Summed up our season so far. Oakley was decent and assured but there was too many misplaced passes and anxious attacking that resulted in **** all.

Bottom line is we gave ourselves a mountain to climb and we're just not good enough with the philosophy Tisdale demands.

This is the second time this year I've watched us lose to Mansfield at home. ****ing Mansfield. Won't be there next week.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Doomed I tell you We're all doomed.

Doomed to see the first win of the season.
Please ignore the 2nd line of this quote, Dire first half, 2nd half better but we should start games like we played in the last half hour. Assistant referee on WTS side was blind, left his guide dog at home.

Guillem_Browser

Same old, same old. Shaky at the back and lacking in any quality going forward. I'd be surprised if Cummins scored 5 goals this season and you could tell Nicholls hadn't played in however many years.

League Two isn't rocket science. You need a big bloke and a quick lad up top, couple of brutes at the back and some ball players in midfield. With the exception of Grimes we don't really have any of those things. Mansfield are an archetypal League Two side, nothing special, and they carved us open numerous times and kept us out with relative ease at the back. This is also true in terms of them closing the game out. Yes they were a team of cunning b*stards and wasted time but that's how you close a game out and it's something we could learn from (if we ever find ourselves in a winning position again.)

Ref was poor but is an easy target, simple fact is we didn't do enough to get anything from it. Where do we go from here?

Last edited:
Pym - pretty good game, could possibly have pushed the first goal out further to the side, but kept us in it at times.
Riberio - very poor, both defensively and offensively.
Bennett - thought he was bad first half, out of position a lot and struggling to mark his man.
Baldwin - worst player by a county mile. Got bullied by their no. 9 throughout the first half. Terrible.
JMT - unlucky to be subbed, saved us a couple of times in the first half after Bennett or Baldwin had cocked up.
Woodman - average
Sercs - couple of surging runs I'm the second half but other than that he was ****, struggles to pass.
Oakley - thought he was good. Did well at centre back by himself in the second half and first half he didn't do a lot wrong.
Wheeler - energetic, but didn't really get us anywhere. One of our better players though.
Nicholls - didn't do much, don't know of he was out of position though.
Cummins - despite nothing being created for him, i think he looks a good player. Lively, and a clever footballer. Reminds me of Nards a bit. Would like to see him have a few chances though.

Grimes - Changed the game, beautiful goal and deserved his man of the match.
Keohane - looked lost at times, and missed a sitter to put us level. Been poor this season.
Nichols - looked quite lively, not bad.

Mansfield were what you'd expect from a typical league two club, and the ref was weak. But games like that against teams of their quality are games we need to be winning. We don't look a bad side when we actually attack. When we sit back we are dreadful, defence can't seem to cope with anything. Hope Tisdale walks, but can't see it happening.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tisdale cost us the match by getting the starting lineup and formation spectacularly wrong. Mansfield are a very beatable team who we made look like world beaters in the first half.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The BBC seems a bit confused!

Yet another poor match and performance. First half we were dire and the worst that I have seen us. I Ribeiro was very poor and it looked like Mansfield would score every time they went forward. Wheeler had a very poor game, he is better when coming on in my opinion. Pym made a couple mistakes but gave us a chance with the one-on-one save. Grimes showed class with the goal.

The ref was a complete disgrace, failed to play advantage when Keohane was brought down and bottled a stone-wall penalty decision (which happened right in front of me, player moved his hand towards the ball).