• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Bristol Rovers Match Day Thread

logman

Hugely disappointing attendance. We've lost approximately 1,000 home fans since the Bradford game.
A week before pay day for many people, it always has an affect.

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that was refreshing, well done Taylor and the lads, blew them apart for twenty-odd minutes. Might have my doubts about Taylor but eternally grateful Joey Barton isn't associated with this club.

Seems that it has been over a year since Rog was last seen. Hope he is ok
He was on good form yesterday organising our home 'away day' trip around East Devon. Breakfast and a few ciders in Beer followed by a few more in Branscombe, Newton Poppleford and eventually the Centrespot. He had 45/1 on his 4-1 but wisely cashed out at 4-nil as at the time it was looking like we'd hit double figures.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
As a Wednesday fan can I ask why you doubted the signing and on what basis?
I can't speak for GM but he didn't arrive with many ringing endorsements from Wednesday fans on Twitter, most of whom were celebrating him leaving. Although I like to see any new signings in a City shirt on the pitch a few times before drawing any conclusions, some fans do take notice of previous fans reviews and the seemingly few that rate him and thought the move would do him good for confidence can get drowned out with negativity.

So far he is an excellent shot stopper, good with his feet, a really good character, just needs a bit of work on crosses to tidy up.

I can't speak for GM but he didn't arrive with many ringing endorsements from Wednesday fans on Twitter, most of whom were celebrating him leaving. Although I like to see any new signings in a City shirt on the pitch a few times before drawing any conclusions, some fans do take notice of previous fans reviews and the seemingly few that rate him and thought the move would do him good for confidence can get drowned out with negativity.

So far he is an excellent shot stopper, good with his feet, a really good character, just needs a bit of work on crosses to tidy up.
Thanks for that - I wouldn’t take much notice of Wednesday fan reviews…..Dawson suffered from “he’s not Westwood“ syndrome at Hillsborough from those that idolised the once very good ex keeper we had…..unfortunately Westwood was so injury prone that Dawson and Joe Wildsmith often were thrown in to play at very short notice (i.e. injured in warm ups!) - he had a bit of a nightmare in his last game for us at Rotherham but other than that his stats in terms of goals conceded, shots saved etc stood up to any other keeper we had.

You‘ll get others saying “he doesn’t inspire confidence in the defence” which may well be true but to be honest the defence he was playing behind wouldn’t have inspired confidence in Gordon Banks….in the 9 games he played for us last season we had a ridiculous amount of red cards and injuries and finished most of those games with 10 men….and some of the defenders were just abysmal

Crosses is an interesting one for me…..keeper comes and gets something on it but not a clean catch (aka a flap) or one that stops on his line and tries to save anything that comes at him…..which is the preferenice?….we’ve currently got Bailey Peacock Farrell on loan from Burnley who is getting rave reviews (and with 5 cleans sheets so far, why wouldn’t he!) but all but the very simplest crosses and he’ll be punching

Watch match of the day and / or quest and there’ll be half a dozen goal keeping **** ups that cost goals every week and I bet every one of the fans of those teams thinks their keeper is the worst in the league when that happens…..seems to be part of the modern game

tonykellowfan

Although we have one stinker of a result in losing 3-0 to Orient, I wonder as the season goes one whether the 0-0 at home to Bradford and the 0-0 away to Barrow will be come to seen as good results in the long run.

arthur

Crosses is an interesting one for me…..keeper comes and gets something on it but not a clean catch (aka a flap) or one that stops on his line and tries to save anything that comes at him…..which is the preferenice?….we’ve currently got Bailey Peacock Farrell on loan from Burnley who is getting rave reviews (and with 5 cleans sheets so far, why wouldn’t he!) but all but the very simplest crosses and he’ll be punching
The old Banks v Bonetti debate - the keeper that dominates his box and doesn't need to make that many saves vs one that doesn't so is called upon to make spectacular saves on a regular and memorable basis. Give me a Banks every time

arthur

Joey Barton post match on YouTube 🤣🤣🤣
That’s 6 minutes 57 seconds I’ll never get back.
So bloody obvious he was going to say they won the second
half 1-0 , then claimed it could have finished 13-15
don’t think even the most blinkered Rovers fan thought
they could have won it.
Barton seems to have got it into his head that Rovers are a big club - a fallen giant like Wednesday or Sunderland. Where h got that idea Lord alone knows - for most of my life they have drifted around Leagues 1 and 2 (Divisions 3 and 4 in old money) and haven't even had a proper ground since Eastville became a colony of Sweden..

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although we have one stinker of a result in losing 3-0 to Orient, I wonder as the season goes one whether the 0-0 at home to Bradford and the 0-0 away to Barrow will be come to seen as good results in the long run.
Yup those 2 points could make a difference at the end of the season as could our goal difference.
Hopefully yesterday gives our players the confidence that we can score more than one per game - keeping Pagey fit I think will be key as he plays like Curo did.
UTC

Colesman Ballz

Yup those 2 points could make a difference at the end of the season as could our goal difference.
Hopefully yesterday gives our players the confidence that we can score more than one per game - keeping Pagey fit I think will be key as he plays like Curo did.
UTC
What has keeping a Harrogate player fit got to do with our chances ? :unsure: :p