• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Bristol Rovers Match Day Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks for that - I wouldn’t take much notice of Wednesday fan reviews…..Dawson suffered from “he’s not Westwood“ syndrome at Hillsborough from those that idolised the once very good ex keeper we had…..unfortunately Westwood was so injury prone that Dawson and Joe Wildsmith often were thrown in to play at very short notice (i.e. injured in warm ups!) - he had a bit of a nightmare in his last game for us at Rotherham but other than that his stats in terms of goals conceded, shots saved etc stood up to any other keeper we had.

You‘ll get others saying “he doesn’t inspire confidence in the defence” which may well be true but to be honest the defence he was playing behind wouldn’t have inspired confidence in Gordon Banks….in the 9 games he played for us last season we had a ridiculous amount of red cards and injuries and finished most of those games with 10 men….and some of the defenders were just abysmal

Crosses is an interesting one for me…..keeper comes and gets something on it but not a clean catch (aka a flap) or one that stops on his line and tries to save anything that comes at him…..which is the preferenice?….we’ve currently got Bailey Peacock Farrell on loan from Burnley who is getting rave reviews (and with 5 cleans sheets so far, why wouldn’t he!) but all but the very simplest crosses and he’ll be punching

Watch match of the day and / or quest and there’ll be half a dozen goal keeping **** ups that cost goals every week and I bet every one of the fans of those teams thinks their keeper is the worst in the league when that happens…..seems to be part of the modern game
Yep, we had both extremes last season. Jonny Maxted who stayed on his line, could pull off spectacular looking saves at times but cost us goals as well by not helping out a defence who were not always strong under aerial bombardment (long throws in particular). The we got Jokull Andresson on loan who dominated his box and all of a sudden, goals against dried up. Lewis Ward was somewhere in between.

This season (reaches for some wood), we seem stronger aerially, so Cam can stay more and let his shot stopping do the talking. His relationship with his defender's at the moment is good.

DB9

Not sure if mentioned but in MT's post match interview he did say "Not our record signing but MAIN signing" A bit different from what the player's agent said.

Ex-ciderrr

well i was optimistic before hand and confident about us getting a result, i admittedly predicted a 0-2 loss on the monthly prediction thread but had the sense of belief we could really do it and predicted 3-1 in another thread.

some performance by ourselves yesterday from the 1st whistle and every player was at least a 7/10 imo. Defensively Hartridge won every header every duel and looks superb, key dangerous going forwards those couple of runs into the oppo half and box not one Rovers player could touch him and Caprice too playing out of position at lwb really did well too he could beat his man and did a few times in the 1st half but always had to get the ball onto his right before passing or crossing :LOL: but he did a job and credit to him for doing so. Kite, certainly not the player i saw in pre season superb performance and 1st senior goal to cap a starring display. MJ back to old tricks again, Dieng soild solid display, didnt get booked either! and you need midfielders chipping in with goals if your to be successful too. Jevani Brown my motm personally was unbelievable and if it wasnt for MJ being captain and getting a brace Brown would easily have got MOTM. Amond i like alot very clever, you can see by the runs he makes pockets he drops into and the way he moves off defenders superb and rather unlucky not to find himself on the scoresheet. Nombe after his bout of covid looks abit rusty should of scored really but hes still a livewire and given a run of games now im sure he will hit the net.

Just a great day to be a Grecian always nice to beat rovers too with it being a local derby but the way we played weve now seen what this team can do and i hope that there is alot more to come from this group.

Steve Moran3

Not sure if mentioned as not read the entire thread but Rovers had some right idiot fans. Came down on the train with loads of them all getting tanked right up at 10am. Walking along by New North Road past The Oddfellows after the game Rovers fans were fighting each other in the road until the police arrived and chased them down on to Central Station. I know they were disappointed but fighting each other? Come on! Guess Bristol Rovers FC indirectly condone violent behaviour due to their choice of manager though.

Ash

Yeah, the recruitment of ones we have seen, can't be faulted.

Ray came with a rep for making mistakes, but has fitted in brilliantly, seems no-nonsense, wins his headers, reminds me of our manager TBH.
Ray reminds me of Aaron Martin.....

geoffwp

Not sure if mentioned as not read the entire thread but Rovers had some right idiot fans. Came down on the train with loads of them all getting tanked right up at 10am. Walking along by New North Road past The Oddfellows after the game Rovers fans were fighting each other in the road until the police arrived and chased them down on to Central Station. I know they were disappointed but fighting each other? Come on! Guess Bristol Rovers FC indirectly condone violent behaviour due to their choice of manager though.
That's Bristol for you. At the risk of upsetting anyone, if it could be cut loose to drift off down the Severn I'd not bother to wave goodbye.

Grecian2K

That's Bristol for you. At the risk of upsetting anyone, if it could be cut loose to drift off down the Severn I'd not bother to wave goodbye.
The one thing to be said in Bristol's favour is that at least it's not Pl*muff.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Although we have one stinker of a result in losing 3-0 to Orient, I wonder as the season goes one whether the 0-0 at home to Bradford and the 0-0 away to Barrow will be come to seen as good results in the long run.
Possibly so. Bradford's only dropped points so far have been against us. We played the uncompromising Barrow after a long, long trip on a windy and shytty Tuesday night. Too early still to come to any conclusions about this season. The next home game v rocket assisted Village Green Rovers (aka the Vegans) will be interesting.

Grecian2K

The next home game v rocket assisted Village Green Rovers (aka the Vegans) will be interesting.
A few meaty tackles* and we'll have them running like chickens.
That'll give Vegan Vince something to beef about.
(*Just as long as we don't get Porky Huxtable reffing)

Rosencrantz

Ray reminds me of Aaron Martin.....
In build only. Completely different styles of defender. George Ray is much better in the air and more physically dominant than Aaron Martin. Aaron is better defending on the deck. Both bring the ball out reasonably well and throw themselves at anything that's needed.