• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Cheltenham Town FC Match Day Thread

dontpassback

To be honest,I don’t think the Cheltenham manager will last the season,duff was a class act and they haven’t replaced him well,so although they snatched 3 points today,I think the bottom 3 will be their destiny

I was surprised not to see Grounds used as a sub today. His passing and ability/willingness to carry the ball might have made more impact than some of the others Matt used.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be honest,I don’t think the Cheltenham manager will last the season,duff was a class act and they haven’t replaced him well,so although they snatched 3 points today,I think the bottom 3 will be their destiny
Apparently Wade Elliott "couldn't be prouder" of his teams performance today and confirms that there was nothing wrong with his goalie !
If teams can be proud of a time wasting / play acting performance like that I hope our manager never praises such a performance like that !

AndyR

City were dire this afternoon and I thought the match had some similarities with the match v Port Vale at the end of last season. We seem to struggle against teams who pack their defence and midfield and have big uncompromising defenders who are quite happy to hack away every ball into them. In the second half, some of our passing was awful and we resorted to lumping the ball forwards to Jay and Nombe who, even if the ball went anywhere near them, were out-muscled. I thought Nombe had the poorest game I have seen him play for City.

In addition to all that, Cheltenham were a disgrace, aided by a weak Referee who only started clamping down when it was too late. Quite frankly if that was the quality of "entertainment" regularly dished up, I wouldn't bother going. I hope they get relegated and I even hope that Plymouth stuff them!:eek:

Grecianpasty

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but my biggest disappointment was Sam Stubbs today. His distribution was appauling and it bled into Diabetes game. Our back line, besides from Hartridge, delivered long ball after long ball, which only played to Cheltenham strengths.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let’s face it, Cheltenham were terrible - they looked like a lower half League 2 team desperately hanging onto to an unlikely victory in the cup. Yet, somehow, we manage to match that with an awful performance all round.

Without Jevani and without any squad depth we looked completely knackered by half time and devoid of ideas. Big, big question marks around MJ and whether he can cut it at this level - he hasn’t performed at a consistent level since the end of 2021. Completely anonymous today. Nombe huffed and puffed but without his creative buddy looked out of sorts and the ball kept getting stuck under his feet.

The 5 sub rule is going to kill us unless we recruit - we have, unarguably a great starting 11 but it’s wafer thin and a performance like that was probably coming after giving their all on Tuesday. Our lack of forward options, 5 games in - is an embarrassment.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but my biggest disappointment was Sam Stubbs today. His distribution was appauling and it bled into Diabetes game. Our back line, besides from Hartridge, delivered long ball after long ball, which only played to Cheltenham strengths.
Heard Diabetes has a sweet right foot

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
You have to take advantage when you have control of the game and we didn't in the first15.It was in our hands so no point in blaming anyone else. Sweeney was a big loss today, not just for how solid he is at right centre back ,but he is a good outlet for getting the ball into the box quickly when the wing back is blocked off.Pond could have had 30 minutes in a L1 game if that situation had been handled differently earlier in the summer.

Dieng looked a frustrated figure again.The second half was deteriorating enough for Taylor to take a gamble and change Cox for Dieng,but the halfway measure of Coley wasnt unexpected enough to catch out a team parking a bus.I don't think having 3 genuine centre mids helps Dieng's game at all,its almost like he needs more space to work in.The positioning through out the game of those 3 is something for Taylor to consider.

A few minor adjustments to make ,not a problem, it comes with having to play 20 new teams.

What are the odds on Blackman scoring a goal this season? Must be worth a tenner.

Last edited:

C j phill

You have to take advantage when you have control of the game and we didn't in the first15.It was in our hands so no point in blaming anyone else. Sweeney was a big loss today, not just for how solid he is at right centre back ,but he is a good outlet for getting the ball into the box quickly when the wing back is blocked off.Pond could have had 30 minutes in a L1 game if that situation had been handled differently earlier in the summer.

Dieng looked a frustrated figure again.The second half was deteriorating enough for Taylor to take a gamble and change Cox for Dieng,but the halfway measure of Coley wasnt unexpected enough to catch out a team parking a bus.I don't think having 3 genuine centre mids helps Dieng's game at all,its almost like he needs more space to work in.The positioning through out the game of those 3 is something for Taylor to consider.

A few minor adjustments to make ,not a problem, it comes with having to play 20 new teams.

Blackman scoring a goal this season? Must be worth a tenner.
What are the odds on
This is going to set hare's running but Dieng reminded of Atagana of last season and Cox looked very similar to Seymour.

Grecianpasty

This is going to set hare's running but Dieng reminded of Atagana of last season and Cox looked very similar to Seymour.
Dieng's game is better suited to league Two.

I worry that he will struggle in this league.