• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Stelios

It's mainly the Welsh FA policy of tapping up youth players that riles me a bit, that's all. But they would just say they are being smart. I'd rather have a system where if you attend school in England you play for England schoolboys. What you do at 18 is entirely up to you.

I do have an issue with international sport in general where some adult athletes can effectively pick and choose who they play for or have represented more than one country. I think that's a completely different issue to one where you were born in one country but your family moved to another when you were a child.

Nothing against Ethan or anyone else choosing to play for whoever they're qualified for. (y)

Apparently, although Giggs played for England schoolboys he would not have qualified for England even if he wanted to. Which he didn't. Didn't want to play much for Wales either, mind you........

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
You mean the English side that has failed to reach the important stages of a competition since Noah was a kid?
You don’t genuinely think Wales has a better side than England, do you?

malcolms

In general terms no, and nor should they be, but they went further than England in the last completed tournament..I guess i'm just tired of hearing the suggestion that England are somehow better than a second tier team, when historic evidence suggests the opposite...

IndoMike

Danny Wilson ( Ryan Giggs dad ) born in Wales mate .
Ok. I remember : he chose his mum's maiden name and discarded his dad's. Surnames, not countries.

IndoMike

We have better players but seldom do we have a better team (than many other teams). A lot goes a little way.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
In general terms no, and nor should they be, but they went further than England in the last completed tournament..I guess i'm just tired of hearing the suggestion that England are somehow better than a second tier team, when historic evidence suggests the opposite...
That's just down to over payed Prem players thinking they are better ! Bring a few players in from the Championship or lower who would play their hearts out til they burst to be given the chance of playing for England ! I have watched quite a few England games live and some players do seem more interested playing for club than country.

In the years I have been watching England I could probably say 15 players who have given their all during games.

malcolms

That's just down to over payed Prem players thinking they are better ! Bring a few players in from the Championship or lower who would play their hearts out til they burst to be given the chance of playing for England ! I have watched quite a few England games live and some players do seem more interested playing for club than country.

In the years I have been watching England I could probably say 15 players who have given their all during games.
So the players playing for the country's leading clubs don't represent the best we have?

Andy Holloway

So the players playing for the country's leading clubs don't represent the best we have?
Oh you mean the 1 or 2 in each of the Prem. clubs that get a game because the overseas players are 'tired' because they played 60 minutes last week!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Giggs chose Wales and not England, right?
Not sure if answered elsewhere, but Giggs was never actually qualified to play for England. He represented England Schoolboys, but that's precisely that - Schoolboys. You could represent England Schoolboys if you were from Djibouti as long as you were at school in England.

IndoMike

Not sure if answered elsewhere, but Giggs was never actually qualified to play for England. He represented England Schoolboys, but that's precisely that - Schoolboys. You could represent England Schoolboys if you were from Djibouti as long as you were at school in England.
I'm from Djibouti.