• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Early Bath

I'm from Djibouti.
You bragging or complaining? :)

Andy Holloway

I'm from Djibouti.
Been there a couple of times when i was at sea, not the most salubrious place in the world. OK for what we used it for, bunkering.

exehausted2

Maybe Ethan and those he listens to think a Welsh international career would be better for him, personally and professionally, than going along with all the **** that goes with England. Both are going to be outsiders at tournaments and Wale are no less likely than England to strike lucky one day.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh you mean the 1 or 2 in each of the Prem. clubs that get a game because the overseas players are 'tired' because they played 60 minutes last week!
What difference does that make? Ramone's contention was that players not playing in the Premier League might be a better choice than some of those playing in one of the top leagues in the world. If they aren't playing in the top division then the only conclusion you can come to is that they aren't as good as the foreign players who are, which is why there are many better teams than England in World football..

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
What difference does that make? Ramone's contention was that players not playing in the Premier League might be a better choice than some of those playing in one of the top leagues in the world. If they aren't playing in the top division then the only conclusion you can come to is that they aren't as good as the foreign players who are, which is why there are many better teams than England in World football..
Like when Peter Crouch was in the Championship then ! Gotcha.

What I was getting at is the England players as was aren't really that "up for it" like they are at their respective clubs. So why not look to the lower leagues , Wheres the ruling that says you HAVE to be a prem player to play for England ?

And tbh the main reason the prem does come in the top 10 leagues in the world is because there are so many foreign players in it.

Last edited:

malcolms

Like when Peter Crouch was in the Championship then ! Gotcha.

What I was getting at is the England players as was aren't really that "up for it" like they are at their respective clubs. So why not look to the lower leagues , Wheres the ruling that says you HAVE to be a prem player to play for England ?
Not really...lots of players from outside the top division have represented England over the years and what I'm suggesting is that these players represent a failure of the system rather than its success. The best English qualified footballers should be playing for the top clubs. I can't say for certain but I doubt players from Le Havre in France, Albacete in Spain or Go Ahead Eagles of Deventer (love that name) are in line for a call up to their respective national teams...

Antony Moxey

In general terms no, and nor should they be, but they went further than England in the last completed tournament..I guess i'm just tired of hearing the suggestion that England are somehow better than a second tier team, when historic evidence suggests the opposite...
Historic evidence suggests nothing of the sort. By and large England are normally hovering around the 6-10 position, which would equate to a competition quarter finalist. That's usually about where they end up in tournaments. Wales have qualified once in half a century, got to a semi final (after losing to England) and will probably have to wait another half century to qualify again once Bale hangs up his boots.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not really...lots of players from outside the top division have represented England over the years and what I'm suggesting is that these players represent a failure of the system rather than its success. The best English qualified footballers should be playing for the top clubs. I can't say for certain but I doubt players from Le Havre in France, Albacete in Spain or Go Ahead Eagles of Deventer (love that name) are in line for a call up to their respective national teams...
We played Go Ahead Deventer in a pre season friendly at SJP when I was a whippersnapper.

Just saying.

ECFC played em, I watched from the BB that is.

Last edited:

iscalad

We played Go Ahead Deventer in a pre season friendly at SJP when I was a whippersnapper.

Just saying.

ECFC played em, I watched from the BB that is.
Yep, I've got a programme lost in my attic for that game. Thought it was quite a coup for City to play a European team.

denzil

Yep remember that game too...............

TWO Transfer windows have opened and closed (ne4arly) and some tens of millions of pounds have changed hands and we have got.....................complete FANNY ADAMS from Chelsea for Ampadu - that is awful - FFS somebody tell the powers that be in Football to pull their fingers out. Suppose our future depended on any Ampadu money, Exeter City could have gone to the wall.