• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't Kwame Irish?
Ethan also qualifies for Ghana.

SDRighton

Ethan also qualifies for Ghana.
Yeah. Ethan was born in England, to a father born in England who also qualified to play for Ghana and the Republic of Ireland through parentage (and indeed played for the Republic at U21 level), and a Welsh mother.

Therefore, he qualifies for England, Ghana, Republic of Ireland and Wales.

My view (and clearly it's biased and not Ethan's, so is essentially irrelevant) is that anyone born and bred in England should be focusing on playing for England. But maybe his mum made fantastic leek soup or something.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
My view is that he can play for whichever nation he feels the most affinity towards, and that England should have made a bigger effort to keep him. Don't blame him choosing Wales.

Terryhall

To be brutally honest all teams do this.

In Switzerland you have Shaqiri and Xhaka (Xhaka's brother Taulant actually plays for Albania which was interesting to see them on opposing sides when Albania played Switzerland recently)

The France squad has Umtiti (born in Cameroon), and in the past Evra (born in Senegal), Desailly (Ghana) and Makelele (DR Congo)

For Portugal, Nani was born in Cape Verde

Every single nation does it, it's been that way for years. England did it with Owen Hargreaves (born in Canada), further back the USA did it with Roy Wegerle (born in South Africa). This really isn't new news.

IndoMike

Giggs chose Wales and not England, right?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Giggs chose Wales and not England, right?
Giggs was born in Cardiff !

"I'd rather go through my career without qualifying for a major championship than play for a country where I wasn't born or which my parents didn't have anything to do with" His words.

Terryhall

"I'd rather go through my career without qualifying for a major championship than play for a country where I wasn't born or which my parents didn't have anything to do with" His words.
Words he didn't consider when he played for England youth teams under the name of Ryan Wilson. Equally, that's just his personal opinion - Ethan's personal opinion seems to be that he wants to play for Wales. It's his personal choice to make, right?

IndoMike

He was born in Cardiff but I think his dad was English (Wilson). So he had a choice and he chose Wales. Maybe Giggs will empathise with that and pick him.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Danny Wilson ( Ryan Giggs dad ) born in Wales mate .

malcolms

Or they weren't good enough to get in an England side and they took 19th best lol
You mean the English side that has failed to reach the important stages of a competition since Noah was a kid?