• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or indeed Wilfried Zaha - England and Ivory Coast.

I tend to agree with Stelios's Welsh "brainwashing" theory when it comes to the likes of Ampadu and Ben Woodburn.
Brainwashing or nurturing for me it’s the latter.

Stelios

I see the arrogance so endemic with English rugby supporters is easily transferred to the round ball variety....Plenty of Afro Caribbean born players have chosen England over their natural born homelands... Wales have three football league clubs, England has over 80..what are they supposed to do? If you were good enough Stelios, who would you play for with your Hellenic roots?
Iceland seem to manage ok. If football was done on population size China and India would win everything.

I think Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica but he grew up and was educated in England so I can understand why he plays of England. The specific issue I have with Wales is they target people who have never lived there and will never live there etc. And then they bang on about how Welsh they are and how passionate they are.

But I know other England sports and 'Team GB' does it too. Don't get me started on England cricket and rugby union! I'm not saying England is perfect. Far from it. I think the rules around international sport are a bit odd e.g. Bedene the Slovenian tennis players who became British but changed his mind after a few years and went back to being Slovenian so he could play Davis Cup/Olympics.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Never took much notice before of the Welsh (who does ?)

But looking at where they have gathered some of the players from i'll be sure to remind a couple of Welsh people I know when they start getting all proud and patriotic !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wales_international_footballers_born_outside_Wales

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Never took much notice before of the Welsh (who does ?)

But looking at where they have gathered some of the players from i'll be sure to remind a couple of Welsh people I know when they start getting all proud and patriotic !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wales_international_footballers_born_outside_Wales
You (or they) could argue that those who are welsh by choice are more to be proud of than by the grace of God.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's not the fault of the Welsh FA though is it ? They are not doing anything against the rules, Jack Charlton kicked the arse out of the system when he was in charge of ROI. It's the ludicrous rules on international qualification that are to blame for the situation and many other sports have just as daft ideas. Va'aiga Tuigamala played rugby for Western Samoa before turning out for New Zealand and then could have played for England towards the end of his career. The rules are what they are. Ampadu qualifies for Wales, he has a Welsh mother I believe, and if he wants to play for them then that's that.

Personally I think he needs slapping and dragging off to St George's Park before he regrets it, but I'm a biased Englishman and my opinion counts for nowt.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's the ludicrous rules on international qualification that are to blame for the situation .
What's ludicrous about the rules?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's ludicrous about the rules?
Have you read the thread edwin ? Plenty of examples there.

As for Caribbean players choosing England over their native country how about Jamaican born and bred John Barnes for starters ?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
You (or they) could argue that those who are welsh by choice are more to be proud of than by the grace of God.
Or they weren't good enough to get in an England side and they took 19th best lol

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's not the fault of the Welsh FA though is it ? They are not doing anything against the rules, Jack Charlton kicked the arse out of the system when he was in charge of ROI. It's the ludicrous rules on international qualification that are to blame for the situation and many other sports have just as daft ideas. Va'aiga Tuigamala played rugby for Western Samoa before turning out for New Zealand and then could have played for England towards the end of his career. The rules are what they are. Ampadu qualifies for Wales, he has a Welsh mother I believe, and if he wants to play for them then that's that.

Personally I think he needs slapping and dragging off to St George's Park before he regrets it, but I'm a biased Englishman and my opinion counts for nowt.
Isn't Kwame Irish?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have you read the thread edwin ? Plenty of examples there.

As for Caribbean players choosing England over their native country how about Jamaican born and bred John Barnes for starters ?
Yeah, Barnes, Regis, Sterling... who else? All came to England as kids... hardly exploiting a ludicrous loophole to get in mercenaries with no connection to the country... As for Wales, Ireland etc... of course you get opportunists playing for the country who's team they can get in, rather than the one they associate most with, but how else would you have the rules? If they're too strict, you get the opposite problem, don't you...