• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City and Chiefs same owner.

Ash

Good post but what should in your opinion have been done differently,do you think there were to many wrong decisions at that time ?

At No risk or at no cost to the club has been pushed out so many times that some fans just don’t believe it.

If the club are relying on Ollie Watkins bringing in a windfall that may not happen for a long time if Brentford get promotion, So what’s plan B ?

Do you feel confident that the club is in better hands now than in 2014 or should a new owner be considered.
Wow, you really missed the point of that post!

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh Geoff, You really should read your post before posting them as you are clearly just attacking a poster rather than making a sensible post.
I've read it again. It's fine. So, any sign of that list??

lamrobhero

I supported City in the late 1960s and 1970s and also football in general, then I became disillusioned and abandoned football until returning to ECFC in 2017
There were several aspects to my disillusionment. A key moment was the 1981 Spurs FA Cup Quarter Final, an event which in City terms happens approximately once every 50 years. As a supporter experience I would characterize is as being herded like cattle so that I can be spat on by Spurs supporters. After the game this was an aspect that neither Club was interested in, nor was the press in fact nobody was interested and I thought to myself what am I doing?
In broader football terms Heysal was the end.
You may think private owners / oligarchs care for you but the best that can be said of them is that maybe they do in a paternalistic way. This is not the basis on which I want to support a football club.
Best wishes to The Trust on their 20th anniversary.

Lucky Jim

Good post but what should in your opinion have been done differently,do you think there were to many wrong decisions at that time ?

At No risk or at no cost to the club has been pushed out so many times that some fans just don’t believe it.

If the club are relying on Ollie Watkins bringing in a windfall that may not happen for a long time if Brentford get promotion, So what’s plan B ?

Do you feel confident that the club is in better hands now than in 2014 or should a new owner be considered.

Not sure there were that many wrong decisions Danny ......but principally because the constraints we were working under meant that very few proper decisions were ever really there to be taken. Cash flow management was always top of the agenda. Keeping the lights on, the supporters safe, a team on the pitch and the staff paid took massive amounts of time. Quietly behind the scenes a lot of effort went into the academy and the ground/surroundings - arrangements such as that which funded latest development don’t happen overnight, especially when they needed to be done at no risk to the Club (and believe me, that mantra was front and centre of everything).

Lots of people did their bit to ensure that the infrastructure was in place to be able to use transfer windfalls to grow the Club rather than repay debts or line pockets.

As for your last question, a structure which has delivered a supporters-owned, financially-stable club, competitive in its division each season, in an atmospheric but safe City-centre ground, with an exciting academy pipeline and players who grew up in red and white being talented enough to play in top leagues across Europe, ain’t doing badly in my view.

David Treharne

It's a pity that such discussions about the Trust always turns in to a bashing exercise. I'd hoped that we could have celebrated 20 years of the Trust this past week, but I knew that was a waste of time on here, so didn't start a thread. :(
I don't think that the majority of the postings on here can be construed as a "bashing exercise". There have been lots of positive statements, but my over-riding impression is that on-balance post Trust control is better than what had happened before However (and there will always be a however!) some interesting points emerge most notably from those who have never known anything but Trust control. I'd say they're right in asking questions and querying whether this is the best way to run the Club, and Malcolm makes a good point in post#100 because the Trust (and the Club) have at times been particularly precious about the release of information, and sometimes about quite justified criticism.
As for the Trust, as a proud owner of a set of the initial minutes of the meeting of 5th July 2000, I don't think that anybody reading them would mistake the organisation then, for the organisation now. In my view it's all the better for that, and I'm disappointed that you decided not to start a thread about founding of the Trust. The more light that can shed on the 'why the Trust was started' the better (perhaps) to help persuade those who are to follow of wisdom and of the pitfalls that might be avoided.

DB9

I don't think that the majority of the postings on here can be construed as a "bashing exercise". There have been lots of positive statements, but my over-riding impression is that on-balance post Trust control is better than what had happened before However (and there will always be a however!) some interesting points emerge most notably from those who have never known anything but Trust control. I'd say they're right in asking questions and querying whether this is the best way to run the Club, and Malcolm makes a good point in post#100 because the Trust (and the Club) have at times been particularly precious about the release of information, and sometimes about quite justified criticism.
As for the Trust, as a proud owner of a set of the initial minutes of the meeting of 5th July 2000, I don't think that anybody reading them would mistake the organisation then, for the organisation now. In my view it's all the better for that, and I'm disappointed that you decided not to start a thread about founding of the Trust. The more light that can shed on the 'why the Trust was started' the better (perhaps) to help persuade those who are to follow of wisdom and of the pitfalls that might be avoided.
20 years is to be congratulated as Ive said and what the Trust and its members have done has been nothing short of a miracle but if some people see things that can be done better or perhaps they see trust not moving in certain directions they should be engaged not dismissed. In the 20 years football is not the same as it was, whether on the pitch or off it and we as a club have to move with the times, decisions that some feel uncomfortable with might have to be made, Especially in these times. We're not immune from whats happening, Waiting for money that might never come or hope a "Gem" helps the bank balance is just as unsustainable as some clubs who decide to spend more than they have coming in. I hope we have people in charge to face these challenges, I've no idea if we do because i very rarely get to SJP nowadays but as a fan i must have faith in the custodians of the club, I would hate it if things got bad and we weren't told until things were really bad.

Matt Russell

David, why is the document you mention in #115 still with you and not with the History group

David Treharne

David, why is the document you mention in #115 still with you and not with the History group
Two reasons: Firstly I'm writing a book due for publication in 2023 about 20 years of Trust control; An un-authorised history and I need them for cross reference purposes.
Secondly nobody has ever asked me for them; or for that matter any of the other material that I've got which covers both the formation and early years of the Trust and the Board minutes from the first meetings of the post- Doble Board when I acted as secretary.

Matt Russell

Maybe they don't know about them?
Can't ask for somthing if you don't know it exists. Have you not thought of offering them?

malcolms

I realise it won't be universally popular on here, but I think it's appropriate and fair to congratulate Wycombe Wanderers and their much derided manager. He's proven that it is possible to be even smaller and less well supported than we are, but still get a place at the top table.