• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City and Chiefs same owner.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
p.s. My uncle in Nigeria has £50 million he needs to hide, give me your bank details and password and I will send you the money.
Will pm you later John. I'm very keen to help your uncle out.

Dannyred

Banging on your tiresome drum again Daniel. Can we please have a list of those incompetents?..... No? ...... I didn't think we would, as you just invent these things.
Oh Geoff, You really should read your post before posting them as you are clearly just attacking a poster rather than making a sensible post.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh Geoff, You really should read your post before posting them as you are clearly just attacking a poster rather than making a sensible post.
Pot, met kettle.

robchave

Of course, the best model for ECFC is ownership by a genuine fan with bottomless pockets. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, he/she/it doesn't exist.
So, it's either become a temporary plaything for some rich type with more money than sense; a project for people who've got a new 'plan' to make money out of a L2 club; or stick with a fans-owned model. Only the latter has the primary objective of guaranteeing league football for our fans to watch.
My feeling is that, as the current general model of football ownership is unsustainable, more and more clubs will be looking to us as the model for the future.

DB9

Of course, the best model for ECFC is ownership by a genuine fan with bottomless pockets. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, he/she/it doesn't exist.
So, it's either become a temporary plaything for some rich type with more money than sense; a project for people who've got a new 'plan' to make money out of a L2 club; or stick with a fans-owned model. Only the latter has the primary objective of guaranteeing league football for our fans to watch.
My feeling is that, as the current general model of football ownership is unsustainable, more and more clubs will be looking to us as the model for the future.
Why would someone who as you say have more money than sense want to use us as a "Plaything" there is nothing in this club at the moment we own that would be of interest?

Its not unsustainable ownership that is the problem, Its that they spend more than they get in income that is unsustainable, Plus as I've said time and time again, Even during the most dangerous time for lower league football we have ever known due to this pandemic, No group who has interest in football, Club and supporters groups have said that Trust run/Fans owned is the model to go down for the main reason is that clubs/supporters want success and until a club that is fans/Trust owned can at least sustain a club at Championship level then it won't ever be the norm, If it were we'd have a lot more run like that.

David Treharne

Banging on your tiresome drum again Daniel. Can we please have a list of those incompetents?..... No? ...... I didn't think we would, as you just invent these things.
Although I disagree profoundly with the sentiments expressed by Danny in his OP, I don't disagree with his sentiment that along the way in the Trust ownership period there have been 'incompetents'. No, I am not going to name names, but you only have to study the events of 2014 to know that the statement has more than a scintilla of truth. It would be foolish to say that the move from private to Trust ownership has been a seamless progress, in fact it's been anything but. Where the strength of the Trust ownership lies is in the corporate decision making being subject to checks and balances. The downside of this, and it's something that has been levelled at the Trust model since its inception, is that changing direction is somewhat akin to the change of direction of a supertanker. I don't imagine that the Exeter Trust model as it stands is the finished product ( I hope not anyway) as there are several areas where it is unresponsive and sometimes too slow to respond. However, given the choice between an outside investor and the Trust model as it stands I'll willingly settle for the latter.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Although I disagree profoundly with the sentiments expressed by Danny in his OP, I don't disagree with his sentiment that along the way in the Trust ownership period there have been 'incompetents'. No, I am not going to name names, but you only have to study the events of 2014 to know that the statement has more than a scintilla of truth. It would be foolish to say that the move from private to Trust ownership has been a seamless progress, in fact it's been anything but. Where the strength of the Trust ownership lies is in the corporate decision making being subject to checks and balances. The downside of this, and it's something that has been levelled at the Trust model since its inception, is that changing direction is somewhat akin to the change of direction of a supertanker. I don't imagine that the Exeter Trust model as it stands is the finished product ( I hope not anyway) as there are several areas where it is unresponsive and sometimes too slow to respond. However, given the choice between an outside investor and the Trust model as it stands I'll willingly settle for the latter.
As the saying goes, the Trust is a terrible model, but all the others are even worse.

DB9

As per usual David and honest and well written piece. You're right about the Trust not being the finished article, You learn from mistakes and take on board ideas that will help. I do feel that our model relies so much on our Academy to produce "Gems" so as to keep the wolf from the door is so risky, It has been successful but there was a time not so long ago where we had to go cap in hand to the PFA because we had not had that "Gem" to fall back on, Only once mind but its that risk we have to live with as a Trust. I admire the Trust for what it has done and is doing, It works for us as a club but what i don't like is this moral high ground that says the Trust way is the only way and a private owner is pure evil, People should realise although the Trust is working for us, Other clubs don't want that and want a person who can dig into his own pocket, Whether it works out or not that is up to them.

i8cornwall

As per usual David and honest and well written piece. You're right about the Trust not being the finished article, You learn from mistakes and take on board ideas that will help. I do feel that our model relies so much on our Academy to produce "Gems" so as to keep the wolf from the door is so risky, It has been successful but there was a time not so long ago where we had to go cap in hand to the PFA because we had not had that "Gem" to fall back on, Only once mind but its that risk we have to live with as a Trust. I admire the Trust for what it has done and is doing, It works for us as a club but what i don't like is this moral high ground that says the Trust way is the only way and a private owner is pure evil, People should realise although the Trust is working for us, Other clubs don't want that and want a person who can dig into his own pocket, Whether it works out or not that is up to them.
It’s very telling that clubs such as Pompey, Wycombe and I think Telford have all voted to go from fan ownership to private in the last few years. Along with Chester and Hereford considering going from fan owned to private ownership.

Now if it works for them and they can get someone half decent to own them then fair play.

At the moment it’s probably not the right time for city to either be privately owned or have a minor investor for a number of reasons. The culture around city is such that it would also be a hard sell to most members of the trust, to put it into perspective I was 10 when the trust took over the running of the club so for some it’s all we have known.

DB9

It’s very telling that clubs such as Pompey, Wycombe and I think Telford have all voted to go from fan ownership to private in the last few years. Along with Chester and Hereford considering going from fan owned to private ownership.

Now if it works for them and they can get someone half decent to own them then fair play.

At the moment it’s probably not the right time for city to either be privately owned or have a minor investor for a number of reasons. The culture around city is such that it would also be a hard sell to most members of the trust, to put it into perspective I was 10 when the trust took over the running of the club so for some it’s all we have known.
It is fair play to them and we can't diss them if it was right for those clubs.