• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can we afford to lose Ryan Bowman and Randell Williams in January ?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that having Randall on one wing and Williams on the other is doing very well for us. Two different sorts of wingers attacking them must create nightmares for defending teams and Randell is only being critiscised now because it's his turn. Get off his back and we might see the true classy player that he has been and will be again.
You have regularly criticised Williams this season.

Your comments are so inconsistent it's unbelievable.

jimbo-gould

Williams is clearly a very good player at this level. If he wasn’t here I think we’d definitely be worst going forward.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
His crossing is comparable to your spelling.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
God I hate bullies.

jimbo-gould

His crossing is comparable to your spelling.
I use the microphone as I cannot move my fingers due to breaking my neck. But pleased that’s another thing for you to moan at, pal.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
God I hate bullies.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Pot meet kettle.

You are unreal Sturtz.

andrew p long

Any chance of an apology from TPC or even a note of regret?

grecIAN Harris

It is a fact that Randell Williams regularly has two defenders up against him when he gets the ball. It is also a fact that when Joel Randall cuts inside his defender on the left he very often has a lot of space to run into. If you think these two facts are unconnected then you know very little about football. Most of our attacks came down the right last season, a very large percentage of them, and Williams was identified as one of the best players in the league, and certainly our biggest attacking threat, by opposition coaches. While his form is not at the level it was, and Joel Randall is, in Ryan Bowman's words post-match on Saturday, "world class", Randall is definitely benefitting from the way that opposition defences set up against us.
You usually talk sense antman and if you'd said this during the first five games of the season when Joel was an unknown quantity you might have had a point but at this stage of the season when Joel has scored as many as he has and set up as many chances as he has it is absolute drivel. Joel Randell creates his own space because he has more than one string to his bow unlike Williams who you can read like a book. It usually goes, loiter on the touchline about five, ten yards in front of the ball. Drop off to collect a pass to feet. Junk, jink, step over, drop of the shoulder and burst past the defender. Then it depends whether he has gone down the line or inside. If he's gone down the line it will be a case of 'have I created enough time to be careful crossing with my right foot'. If so it usually ends up with a scuffed cross that hits the first defender or goes straight to the keeper. If not, check back on to his left to cross by which the defence are back in place and clear. When he cuts inside it's usually a quick look to see who's in the box and play in a cross. If he gets it right they can be dangerous but very often come to nothing or if there's nothing he drives on and takes a shot, usually from outside the box. You pays your money takes your chances there. Now see if you can do the same thing for Joel Randall. I bet you can't. And why because his game has so much more variety in it. It's nothing more than Randall Williams should be capable of but it's the reason he is with us and not still at Watford because he doesn't. All this 'he's got two men on him' is because he runs into traffic or cuts back into the winger/wide midfielder tracking back to help his full back.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
You usually talk sense antman and if you'd said this during the first five games of the season when Joel was an unknown quantity you might have had a point but at this stage of the season when Joel has scored as many as he has and set up as many chances as he has it is absolute drivel. Joel Randell creates his own space because he has more than one string to his bow unlike Williams who you can read like a book. It usually goes, loiter on the touchline about five, ten yards in front of the ball. Drop off to collect a pass to feet. Junk, jink, step over, drop of the shoulder and burst past the defender.
Cheltenham had really done their homework on Joel and took him out of the game, congesting his flank whenever he got a sniff of the ball. Gillingham and Tranmere, among others this season, were a different story. Totally underestimated him and concentrated on stopping Williams. If I was lining up against us now I'd be giving Randall a midfield tracker from the first minute. When he's up against the last defender and already running the defender doesn't stand a chance. He scares the hell out of defenders when he's on the run. Randell is similar and is quite capable of pushing the ball past the defender and beating him for pace but that hasn't been an option so much for him this season. There's no telling how far Joel will go in the game because it's his first full season but at the moment, he's just too good for this league. I know you've never been a big fan of Williams but the combination of him and Randall is causing huge problems for the opposition defensively. He actually does a lot of defensive work too, and his pressing on Saturday was excellent. I find it weird that people criticise Wiliams, considering how he's always taking on defenders, always trying to be a problem for the opposition. Basically, he turns up for work, does his best in his job and then he's told he's not good enough by people who call themselves supporters of the club. For me, that's totally weird.

grecIAN Harris

Cheltenham had really done their homework on Joel and took him out of the game, congesting his flank whenever he got a sniff of the ball. Gillingham and Tranmere, among others this season, were a different story. Totally underestimated him and concentrated on stopping Williams. If I was lining up against us now I'd be giving Randall a midfield tracker from the first minute. When he's up against the last defender and already running the defender doesn't stand a chance. He scares the hell out of defenders when he's on the run. Randell is similar and is quite capable of pushing the ball past the defender and beating him for pace but that hasn't been an option so much for him this season. There's no telling how far Joel will go in the game because it's his first full season but at the moment, he's just too good for this league. I know you've never been a big fan of Williams but the combination of him and Randall is causing huge problems for the opposition defensively. He actually does a lot of defensive work too, and his pressing on Saturday was excellent. I find it weird that people criticise Wiliams, considering how he's always taking on defenders, always trying to be a problem for the opposition. Basically, he turns up for work, does his best in his job and then he's told he's not good enough by people who call themselves supporters of the club. For me, that's totally weird.
It's not about not being good enough, he can be good enough. It's about not playing to his potential. Tell me hen the last time you saw Randell Williams run on to a ball in the manner the Joel Randall did to set up Bowmans hattrick goal? The last time I saw him make such a run he scored against Argiggle. It's not beyond him but you hardly ever see him do it. It's part of the reason why he gets shut down so quickly, because he is almost static when he gets the ball. It is the difference as to why Joel Randall will go places and why Randell Williams will flatter to deceive. You call me out for not understanding the game, maybe you ought to consider what you know first.