• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can we afford to lose Ryan Bowman and Randell Williams in January ?

Red Bill

I assume the inclusion of Bowman in this thread is s a little tongue in cheek based on his hatricks lately. I can't see we're serious about anyone coming in for him, nor for that matter that he'd want to leave, particularly given his comments yesterday about this being the most exciting team he's played in.
As for Williams, I don't believe anyone would come in with a worthwhile bid for him when he's only got 6 months left on his contract. And given he's only got 6 months left the old "we can't stand in a player's way" argument, doesn't holiday much water. I think someone has suggested a max of £200k is the best we'd get. I reckon that's probably about right, so once we've give 50% to Watford and paid tax and agents fees and whatever, I would say our current financial position means there's little there to tempt us.
If I was MT think i'd just tell him he's not going anyway this window. I expect some will suggest that would make him throw a massive moody for the rest of the season, but i'd suggest that would be a very risky strategy for him if he did. We weren't exactly inundated with offers for him over the summer, so given he hasn't been pulling up trees so far this season, if he dissappeared into the background for the rest of it because we wouldn't sell, I can't see how that would increase his desirability to other clubs or prove his worth.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
There seems to be a view that Randell is a bit of a prima donna, but actually there is no evidence to support that. Also there is no reason why Randell should perform better than anyone else in every match. He seems to be pulling his weight and has stayed with the club even when he was (presumably) offered better terms from the Posh. I reckon he might stay with us if we get promoted

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also there is no reason why Randell should perform better than anyone else in every match.
Who said there was ?

IndoMike

Who said there was ?
If you think I'm going to enter into a stupid argument with you on a Sunday night when I'm relaxing at home you must be joking.
Read the previous pages.

Grecian2K

Also regarding RB, was it not alluded to in his post match interview that he has just bought a new house in the area?
Hardly the action of someone with itchy feet.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you think I'm going to enter into a stupid argument with you on a Sunday night when I'm relaxing at home you must be joking.
Read the previous pages.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Chill out Michael and answer the question.

Who has said Randell Williams should perform better than anyone else in every match ???

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also regarding RB, was it not alluded to in his post match interview that he has just bought a new house in the area?
Hardly the action of someone with itchy feet.
Could have been a very long chain !! ;)

STURTZ

With the team looking very together at the moment I think any additions would have to be able to fit into our existing squad without making waves. Another reason for promotiong our own youth to fill any gaps.

David Treharne

There seems to be a view that Randell is a bit of a prima donna, but actually there is no evidence to support that. Also there is no reason why Randell should perform better than anyone else in every match. He seems to be pulling his weight
Based on yesterday's game I'd say that Randell Williams is an essential cog in the current set-up of the team. Given his physique he's never likely to be an tough tackling physical player, however he provides yet another threat from a different direction. It was evident that the Tranmere defence (such as it was) couldn't work out how attacks were being built, and in that respect he offered yet another alternative. If there's a fault it's that he tries to take on too many players and eventually promising positions come to little, but he can be deadly effective as a crosser of the ball, and as he's proved in the past, capable of scoring goals. What impressed me about yesterday was what a good all round team performance it was. Still some work to do on defence, but's steadily improving as a squad.
Oh, and since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else I'd also like to say how good the stewarding arrangements were yesterday, and sitting in the Stagecoach gave me an entirely different perspective on the game (though I'm looking forward to going 'home' to the IP stand!

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
There seems to be a view that Randell is a bit of a prima donna, but actually there is no evidence to support that. Also there is no reason why Randell should perform better than anyone else in every match. He seems to be pulling his weight and has stayed with the club even when he was (presumably) offered better terms from the Posh. I reckon he might stay with us if we get promoted
I don't necessarily think he chose to stay with the club. The Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony actually has his own podcast "The Hard Truth' and he speaks about having a deal agreed this summer with a player from Exeter (obviously Williams) and that the wages were agreed and then he changed his agent (who MacAnthony in his own words hates) and he then wanted to wait a week to see if a Championship club came in for him. Basically pi#$ed him off and Peterborough pulled the plug on the deal.

From listening to MT though I agree that Williams does seem like a hard working player behind the scenes as he has spoken about the extra work he does at training etc. His poor start to the season (which is hopefully behind him now) though was probably in part to this whole situation.